add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Top VS bottom mounted PSU/suggestions

mattataki

75 months ago

Hello fellow PCPP users,

I would like to ask is the PSU position in a case really a factor to add in the advantages of a case or not? Then there seems to be quite a fuss of bottom being better and all, top restricting airflow... I wonder, is there any solid facts, I would like some true answers, not some personal thinking. I would like some answers from people that know their thing and done/seen some tests. Any proof and seriousness is appreciated.
I am asking so because I own a ATX Mid-Tower case because I was at first going for an ATX case but then I changed my mind and went with a newer mobo this one is MicroATX rather than my first will with an ATX. (I own a case and a mobo) I oftenly go to my cottage(every non-business days.). So with all that traveling, I was going to opt for buying a MicroATX case and sell my Gx700 that I got for 42$- -Any takers? I was looking and I found a nice case from Fractal Design for a really tempting price of 50$ at neweggUS. I live in Canada but I can arrange something to ship it to a friends house. I looked also at the Cougar Spike, nice looking but some disadvantages: orientation of HDD trays and more.

Finally, I personnaly had a thought that bottom was better and it was kind of my criteria for a while. I wonder if it is a fact to consider.
Thanks to all who replies

Comments

• 75 months ago
  • 2 points

It used to be that the top mounted psu was better for heat. but as technology improved and psu manufacturers started engineering better psu's heat wasn't a problem with them anymore and having them on the bottom makes no difference.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah I see, best answer so far, this is somewhat a good thing to hear. So apart from your pci thingies going out the back being at the dead bottom and the power cord going from up to down, it just comes to a last preference advantage/disadvantage. I read some of the articles you linked before posting but haven't seen this nice answer.
Thank you very much.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

Your Welcome! I would personally go with a bottom mounted psu just because it can be difficult to route the cables and make them look tidy with one mounted on the top. it also obstructs some airflow.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

It is common though, for psus to face outwards from the case to intake air so that the flow of the air in the case isn't obstructed for the other components.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube