add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
UsedTaco
  • 51 months ago

My build will have an i5-6600k, and an r9 390x. I may over clock, not sure yet. I eventually plan on adding a second 390x, or upgrading to a 980ti (possibly sli). Is a 1000 Watt PSU overkill? Or does that sound about right?

P.S. According to this site, with crossfire 390X, it adds up to 772 watts. So I don't know if I should go with 850 or 1000.

Thanks!

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 3 points

you could do the 850 fine. 390X crossfire isn't a great idea and it will probably be smarter to upgrade to a newer, faster single gpu.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I agree. I'd rather upgrade to a 980 ti eventually.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

just in case you haven't bought the 390x, it would be a better choice getting the R9 390. You will only get around 9 FPS improvement in most games with the 390X and will cost around 100 bucks more. The R9 390 is the sweet spot between this two.

Just don't get the ASUS which suffers from heat problems.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice. I actually got the 390x for $350, so I felt like it was cheap enough to choose it over the 390.

Thanks!

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

that is a good price for the 390x.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I was pretty happy with the price! xD

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube