add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Setting up Win10 for old people

zudnik
  • 53 months ago

I got my very old parents a laptop so they don't have to go up and down steps all the time for their desktop. So here's my question....

In windows 7 and earlier, they never had a username or password to get onto the computer. Win10 requires this. I set it up with my email and password, but now think that's a bad idea. I want to be able to log in and help them at any point.

Would you create a new gmail address and Microsoft account for them with a password you know, or would you set it up as your own? Either way, I'd like it to boot up without prompting them, so any ideas on how to do that?

Thanks

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 3 points

You don't actually need an e-mail at all.

• Step 1: Click Start
  • Step 2: Click your username at the top of the start menu
  • Step 3: Click Change account settings
    (Note: there are multiple ways to get there)
  • Step 4: Under Manage my Microsoft account, there's a link that says Sign in with a local account instead.
  • Step 5: Enter your current password
  • Step 6: Enter the new User name
  • Step 7: Enter the password and reenter it
  • Step 8: Unfortunately, password hints are required. I just use a period.
    -Step 9: Click Next
  • Step 10: Click Sign out and finish

Once Windows recreates the profile, I highly recommend going to sign-in options and requiring a PIN instead of a password. It's faster and easier in my opinion. You can also disable sign-in when Windows wakes up, but there's no way to disable it if the computer is restarted. Hope this helps.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Step 8: Unfortunately, password hints are required. I just use a period.

funny... I use "you know"

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah ha!

Password: wonk uoy

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube