add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can't Decide Between Three ASUS and one Gigabyte MBs

Mediciu5
  • 81 months ago

Hello all,

I'm doing a new build to replace my old ASUS ROG laptop.

In reading the myriad sites on the web I've come to a point of indecision. I can't decide if I want to jump to Haswell or stay on Ivy (I think I have the names right - i.e. Jump to 4670K or stay on 3570K) and in turn, I'm indecisive about which MB I want.

Historically, I've had great luck with Gigabyte boards. This time around, I'm putting additional weight on aesthetics as well as tertiary functionality on the MBs. I also have a little more leeway with costs (or timing to be more appropriate) than I did for my last two builds so I can expand my price range. Now, I can't really decide between four different MBs (one Gigabyte and three ASUS).

A little usage information to help any wondering about my intents, wants, needs, and purposes:

• 50% Gaming

• 40% Music and Movies

• 10% Converting LP to MP3, etc other tasks

• On the fence about overclocking - but if I do decide to try it, I'd like to have extra tools on-hand to make it easier

• Temperature levels could be a concern, as I'll be looking at fans for aesthetics rather than performance (unless I decide to OC, then I'll switch to liquid cooling)

• Wifi/BT built in or added later is a must

• PLX sounds like something that would be nice to have on the MB

• May run SLI/Crossfire in the future

• On the ASUS boards the the SupremeFX and ThunderFX appeal to me

• On the ASUS boards the Sonic Radar sounds perfect for FPS gaming

Below I list the boards I like and why I like them. What I'm wondering is if I misunderstood something about them, or if someone has one of the boards and likes/dislikes it. Or just knows of a reason why one is better than the other. Essentially, just looking for feedback on my choices.

1) ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe

• Better audio chip

• PLX listed

• Board colors are not my favorite

2) ASUS Maximus V Formula/ThunderFX

• SupremeFX audio

• ThunderFX

• PLX (I think)

• ROG Connect

• Board colors are OK or easy to color match other parts with

3) ASUS Maximus VI Formula

• Better SupremeFX

• Interesting plastic shield

• PLX (I think)

• Sonic Radar

• Board colors are OK or easy to color match other parts with

4) Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WIFI

• Historical comfort with GB MBs

• Board colors are not my favorite

• Fast phone charging USB (S4/S5)

• Historical comfort with GB MBs (I know that's twice, but it really does make a person feel better even when the board is fugly)

Thanks all,

Mediciu5

Comments

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you going to get the i5 4670k or the i5 3570k? You should get the i5 4670k or the fx 8350

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

That's one of my questions. There are three boards for the 3570K and one for the 4670K. Regarding the 8350, I haven't done any investigations or read any reviews of the AMD CPUs. My focus has been on Intel in all my searches.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

I would go with the maximus VI Formula because lets be honest, it looks awesome.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

Right? Plus, it has some fun functionality and a better audio chip. I just don't know if there are really heat issues with the 4670K or if the temp is just higher than the 3570K but still manageable.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

The temps of haswell is higher than the temps of ivy due to the movement of one of the chips that is usually on the motherboard and they integrated it onto the cpu itself. They don't overclock as well either. but with the right thermal paste and cooler it isn't a problem.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not a big deal, honestly, depending on the type of cooling you have. I have my 4770k under an H100i, and I have it OC'd to 4.5 GHz. It still idles around 25C, and under heavy gaming (i.e. Crysis 3) I haven't seen it jump past 65C... If you already have a 3570k, as indicated by the wording "jump to Haswell or stay on Ivy" in your original post, I would say that it's not worth it to go to Haswell. If you're buying the parts new, then I would suggest Haswell 100% of the time. But as an upgrade, Haswell, outside of the new chipset features, doesn't have a whole lot to offer.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahh sorry about that. I meant "stay" as in Ivy is the "current" version and "jump to" as in Haswell is the "new" one. This build will be to replace my older ASUS ROG laptop, so I'll be getting everything new for it.

I do appreciate the feedback though. After reading through the reviews of Haswell vs. Ivy it didn't sound like it was a great deal with minimal performance gains and a higher temp. But at only $10 difference between the two, it seemed like a better option.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

i'm building a system and this is exactly why i'm going for the formula :) i stopped researching about motherboards as soon as i saw this sexy beast XD although if you plan on liquid cooling, the formula has been getting a lot of hate for the aluminum components where you attach the thingamajigs (the thingamajig on top and side of the cpu)

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

Even if I had tons of money, I will stick with ivy bridge over haswell.

I vote for Asus Maximus V Formula.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the feedback Mr_Sloth. I still haven't purchased the CPU, but I'm leaning more to Haswell as I like the upgrades the Formula VI has over the Formula V.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are going to be making music 40% of the time, then you should forget the integrated sound ASUS/Gigabyte has to offer and get an internal sound card. I think the ASUS features are gimmicks, but if they appeal to you, i would recommend getting a VI Formula

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not making any music. I just enjoy listening to it on my HS' and the on-board could very well be gimmicks. I do find myself often swayed by the flashy-shiny stuff, though.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

ok well if you're listening to music, then you probably wont hear the difference between mobo's integrated sound cards unless youve got like a $200+ headset. If you're hardcore FPS, and dont want to get a dedicated sound card, then the Vi Formula or even the V Formula should satisfy you

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. The majority of my headsets are below that range, though I have started bumping up my price point when shopping. I don't think I'll ever be an Audiophile, but I'm starting to enjoy cleaner/clearer sounds. And anything I can do to make that a more likely possibility without going nuts (specialized audio equipment or the "electrostatic" speakers, etc) on hardware I'll try.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Based on your criteria the Maximus VI Formula is a perfect choice

1. It has 802.11AC with BT 4.0 so you have ultra high speed wireless.

In addition the game first ii packet priority software can optimize connectivity and application performance on either the wireless or wired controller ( with the Wired controller being an Intel Nic )

1. The SupremeFX solution on the Formula is the most advanced ever but on any board and includes a Cirrus Logic DAC. Its overall design and performance is very good especially if you have a solid pair of headphones / speakers. Keep in mind that the optimized audio path with amplification is on the HP connection.

The improvement in audio is something that can be noticed with reasonble quality headphones

Examples are

ROG Orion ATH-M35 Sony-MDR-V6

all these are headsets between 50 to 90 dollars so you if you have even better quality headphones you will see an improvement.

1. You did not mention it but advanced fan control functionality offering extensive options within the UEFI and OS and allowing for 3pin and 4 pin control per header.

2. All ASUS boards offers USB Charger+ which is more advanced than standard quick charge on GB board. It offers qucik charring for all kinds of devices not just iOS devices ( eReaders, tablets, smart phones etc ). It will also work in different sleep states

3. The mainstream ASUS boards support advanced realtime dynamic overclocking specific to your cpu and cooler via AutoTuning in 4 Way optimization

You also have basic oc options through the TPU switch which is essentially 4.2Ghz in the flip of a switch.

ROG boards do not have dynamic realtime tuning but quick profiles ( 4.2GHz, 4.4GHz and 4.6GHz )

Keep in mind though each board has outstanding manual overclocking options and outstanding stability and reliability while overclocked.

1. Software package on the Formula is outstanding. The board comes with ROG RamDisk software, Game First II packet priority software ( can be tuned for different applications or functions ) browsing, VOIP, downloading or of course gaming where tuning it can help to ensure superior ping and latency performance Full version of Kaspersky AV Full version of Daemon Tools Pro Standard

6.Advanced recovery option via USB Bios Flashback. This is a great option in the event you need to recover you board due to a corrupted UEFI ( which generally occurs due to power related issues ). The great thing is you do not need a CPU, Memory, or Graphics Card installed just PSU standby power. It can also still work even if the board does not post. All around a great advanced feature

To clarify the Formula does not have a PLX

The Deluxe does offer a PLX ( Gen 2 ) this is only to maintain more active PCIe lanes enabled this is only of need if you plan on having SLI or Crossfire and heavily using almost all supplemental and primary controllers at the same time.

There is more as well even including items like the warranty where both the ASUS and ROG offers advanced replacement options

This means if you need to RMA the board you can request an advanced replacement to have a replacement board shipped first before shipping your defective board back.

Overall hope this clarifies some of the items you noted and gives you more understanding as to what you are getting.

Best of luck with your build! Hope this helps!

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the response AI.

I appreciate the additional info.

Med

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube