add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Risks of buying a low tier company PSU?

faiths_edge
  • 51 months ago

So what would be the difference of buying an EVGA 650w supernova 80+ gold, and a normal 650w psu? What's the big problem with the cheaper one?

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 4 points

With the cheaper one's they're usually made from cheaper/inferior parts, so in some cases they'll be dead when you get them, or die after a short time, not only that if it says 650w but its a cheap off brand it might only be good for up to 400W or significantly less than advertised. If you go with a quality made one its less likely to die on you all of the sudden or burst into flames (this happens very rarely too with some crazy off brand ones) also the bronze/gold/titanium//etc. is how power efficient it is that is wasting less energy. I Recommend personally the evga GS or G2 models because they're built VERY well and also gold rated so very efficient.

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

Power supplies from unheardof brands usually use bad interior parts. I reccomend Evga G2.

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

Several years ago, I had a Thermaltake power supply and after 6 months it basically melted inside. I'm pretty sure it was a 450 watt power supply. I couldn't have been drawing more than 250 watts back then.

I learned a valuable lesson. Buy a power supply built with quality parts. It brings life to a computer system so give it something good!

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Also most regular brands aren't optimized for 24 hour use or gaming or exceptionally power hungry tasks the higher end ones are actually designed with this in mind.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

There isn't such thing as regular brands for psu's.....

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

that's not quite what I meant I meant such as like cheap brands like Achieve Allied Aspire Codegen CoolMax Cyberzone DEER Dragon Eagle Tech EYE-T Greenline HIPRO JSP-tech KingStar Kingwin L&C Linkworld Okia Orion PowerMagic PowerUp Powmax Q-Tec Raidmax Rosewill Silverstone Skyhawk Startech Turbolink Vantec Win

or even some cheaply made ones by better companies like some of the corsair or cooler master ones that are known to have problems.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't call those regular brands, if anything irregular since many people don't buy them. Also Raidmax isn't that bad and neither is Rosewill if you go for one of there decent/ok units which there are a few of, same for Sliverstone.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

agreed, just a list of sketchy ones I had found. Most manufacturers have some that are not as well made as their others, it just happens. Rosewill tachyon series is nice, and some of the Antec and raidmax have some nicer models as well.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

raidmax have some nicer models as well.

Raidmax has no nice models. All of them are fairly junk. They might not explode, but you definitely shouldn't buy one.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

and by regular brands I was thinking more of the kind of stuff you walk into a staples or something and see, like brands i've never even seen/heard of

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

So what would be the difference of buying an EVGA 650w supernova 80+ gold, and a normal 650w psu?

That all depends on the psu's in question, the Evga one since that is a blaknet name that covers about 3 psu's from them and normal could mean anything.

What's the big problem with the cheaper one?

See above.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube