add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Solid future proof gaming-PC for first time builder

DKnowze
  • 53 months ago

Hi guys,

I am a first time pc builder from germany, in my early 20s and studying at the moment. I thought about building a pc for quite a while now, as I am kinda disappointed by the development of console gaming and the pc market seems more and more intriguing to me. I have a couple of ideas already, but I definitely need help with some of the parts.

So, first of all I want this pc to be (at least moderately) future proof. What I mean by this is that I am totally ok with upgrading it in the next years (actually I am planning on it) but I want the core of this Pc to be still useable in ~5 years. By core I mostly mean the motherboard, the cpu and the case. The games I want to play with it are mostly not that hardware intensive, I mostly like to play indie games, strategy games like Starcraft II, Civ V or Aoe2 HD and some sports and racing games. The one thing I'm still not sure of and that keeps interfering with my plans is the potential of VR gaming. I don't really want to build the Pc around it, but I want the "core" to potentially be able to do VR. My budget is around 1000€, but that involves a budget 1080p monitor and Windows. I don't care about the look or the size of the build. I am a complete noob to overclocking, so if that's a thing you guys would recommend, it had to be "easy" to do. (Or I need a guide ;) )

Now to get it in line with the template from the stickied post:

-Budget: ~1k€, including a monitor and windows

-Use: Gaming and basic office stuff (maybe VR after upgrading in ~2 years)

-Peripherals required: 1080p monitor

-Operating system required: Windows

Now to the parts and what I planned till now:

CPU: Even though it doesn't seem like a good power/price choice yet, I want to go with one of the i5 skylake CPUs. Ideally the CPU would be strong enough for VR gaming if paired with a strong GPU. (ex. i5-6600/6600k)

GPU: This is were I want to go budget for now and start of with a GTX 750 TI. Right now that card should be enough for me and in a year or so, after the new generation of GPUs is out I can upgrade if I need to.

RAM: I think 1x8GB DDR4 should be enough for the beginning. Again, this could be upgraded easy in 2 or 3 years.

Storage: Because I don't really care about the start up time of the OS, I think I'll be fine with a 1TB HDD for now. I have no idea which manufacturer or model to go with though.

Motherboard + case + power supply + cooler: Now those are the things I have no clue about. I don't really know the difference between the different motherboards, or even the features a motherboard needs to have, I don't really know what cases are good and the same goes for the cooler.

Hopefully you guys can work with the given information, and my ideas are not too stupid. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor €216.84 @ Mindfactory
Motherboard MSI B150 PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard €103.08 @ Amazon Deutschland
Memory Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory €47.81 @ Mindfactory
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive €54.45 @ Mindfactory
Video Card XFX Radeon R7 370 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card €149.86 @ Mindfactory
Case Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case €37.71 @ Amazon Deutschland
Power Supply XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply €106.89 @ Amazon Deutschland
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) €99.90 @ Caseking
Monitor Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor €158.99 @ Amazon Deutschland
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total €975.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-10 07:17 CET+0100

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube