add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Light Static/Hissing Sound in Headphones

Khannûüùúūr

42 months ago

When I plug my headphones into my motherboard's(https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97mxgaming5) line out analog port, I get a low static/hissing sound in my headphones. This low static sound doesn't come up when I plug my headphones into my computer's front panel headphone jack though.

I know that it is not my headphone's fault because I never got this low static sound on other devices and I know my drivers are up to date.

Is there a solution for this that doesn't involve getting a sound card?

If it helps, my OS is Windows 10 and my headphones are the Bose QC25

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I used to have similar problems with my old PC (10 years ago :P). Every time I moved the muse I could hear the generated noise in the hear phones. :)

Now I've got USB head phones...

I agree with mrluckypants96, keep using the front panels.

I'm not sure, but maybe you can buy these static filtering stuff, you sometimes see on display cables and put them on the sound cable?!

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I used to have similar problems with my old PC (10 years ago :P). Every time I moved the muse I could hear the generated noise in the hear phones. :)

I have that exact problem if I plug mine into the front headphone port. -_-

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

If I plug my headphones into the front panel, I get all tangled up in the wire lol.

Could the issue be that my mother board is defective? My PS/2 ports don't seem to work too.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd expect this from an older setup, but this is a top spec board in regards to on-board audio so it's a bit of a strange one. It's possible that it's defective yes, but lets do some checks first.

What's your build?
Is this from new or has it just started?
Have you added/changed anything?
Have you tried other head phones in the same point to confirm? (yes front panel is sweet)

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

My build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LhHGrH

This is my first build and all of my parts are less than a few days old. I did not change anything in the computer since I have installed all of the parts. I have used other headphones in the same port and I know that my headphones are not the issue.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

If using USB headphones fixes the problem, do you think if I just got an adapter like this [REMOVED] would fix the issue?

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

I think it would fix it. Best would be though asking the seller if you can return if it wouldn't fix your problem. Or just borrow someone's for a day or two.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Please do not use link shorteners on our site.

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I get the opposite problem. If I plug mine into the front panel I get a hissing sound...

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Like some others have said, i would try and keep using the front port. i know, it's a pain in the tail getting caught in wires (i actually have the QC15's so i know how much wire they give you) but that's probably your best bet if you don't get a sound card.

your MOBO could have a problem, but if you have to RMA it, then you're stuck without a computer....

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

That's noise either from simply having bad/no shielding, or because you have a part hooked up back there (most likely the gpu or another card, but possibly a fan or wifi adapter) which is causing major interference. If you use wifi on this pc, id suspect that first.

Also, make sure its not your headset.... by that I mean its wire may be crappy and lack good shielding, and in its path from the back port to you, it may be gaining interference from other wires it crosses, or especially from a power strip or UPS system.... so try other headphones, and try holding the wire away from other cords to test it. Ive had bad headphones do this on stereos over the years... One pair even used to pick up an AM country station if I plugged it into the audio in port on my old video mixing board lol (dollar tree foam padded headphones)

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I know it is not my headset that is the problem because I get the same buzzing sound with other headphones.

I am using an external Wi-Fi card that is connected to my computer via Ethernet and my headphone cord does not interfere with any of my other cables.

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

Cool, try some isolation testing. :)

• Remove Wifi connection -> Sound Test.
    I'm not entirely sure what the WiFi set up mentioned is? Do you mean a quality router or something like an ebay sourced wifi booster, or somewhere in the middle? What model is it? I only ask as this could possibly be a source of interference.

Failing that;
- Inspect PSU and make sure the PSU case has a good connection to chassis.
- Inspect MOBO and make sure the board has all mounting hardware installed.
- Remove GPU -> repeat test.
- Disconnect case fan/s one by one as applicable -> repeat test.
- Swap out PSU for testing if you have a spare? -> repeat test.

Oh and check this build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/B3nnTW
This guy had dramas with coil whine interfering with audio

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

this

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube