add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Installing Windows 10 on a PC without an optical drive

fabrar
  • 53 months ago

Hi guys,

Just trying to figure out how I can install Windows on my new build as I'm getting a case without an optical drive.

It looks like there's a tool here on the Windows page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10ISO

My question is, at which step of the process will Microsoft ask me to pay for a license? I am currently using a Macbook. If were to do this on my dad's old Windows desktop, would it be free, or would I still have to pay?

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Download it onto a USB stick and when you put it on a system, it will ask for an activation code. You have to buy one of these.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Got it! And if I'm building the PC from scratch would I be installing the OS from the BIOS? And would I have the option to pay for the activation code during installation or do I need to buy one ahead of time?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahead of time and yes, from the BIOS.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I was looking around online and saw that you can skip the activation process and use a watermarked, non-activated version? Is that true? And if so, can I continue using it indefinitely without activating?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes and no. You can use a trial version of Windows, but that will expire after some time.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah ok got it. I guess it was too good to be true to think that MS would let us use it for free indefinitely LOL

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube