add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking for a PC to run star citizen and maybe cod/rainbow six

detroit11
  • 53 months ago

I am looking for a pc to run Star Citizen primarily.

I have been looking $800-1300 roughly.

I need a monitor keyboard mouse.

I was thinking of going with really good processor and motherboard as other components should be easier to upgrade later.

I could easily but budget parts that work for now if there arent very good deals on a specific component. My original thought was to go a bit cheaper and wait for deals and upgrade as I went. I ran into a Fang battlebox that looked like a good deal and wouldnt appear to need much right now : http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Fang_BattleBox_I-970

I like the portable option so I can take it to and from work with me, so somewhat portable would be nice :)

would still need a monitor.

I am not really up on tech havent pc gamed since delta force. really dont know whats good what isnt and really dont know whats a good deal.

any input would be greatly appreciated

If you could please say what the differences in your build suggestions are and what the the advantage disadvantages to it are that would be great. so I can make an informed decision

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $109.88 @ OutletPC
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $52.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card $330.30 @ Amazon
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $71.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $89.99 @ NCIX US
Monitor Acer G257HU smidpx 60Hz 25.0" Monitor $254.10 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1215.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-12 20:00 EST-0500

This will have the same gaming performance of the PC you linked, and a very nice monitor.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd switch the GPU to the Sapphire Nitro for much lower temperatures while still maintaining fairly low noise.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I've got to brush up on the differences between each manufacturer/model. Thanks

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

I can give a quick summary for temps and noise for popular 390s to the extent of my knowledge.

Operating temperature:

Sapphire < PowerColor/XFX (both slightly warmer than Sapphire) < MSI < Asus

Noise:

Sapphire/PowerColor < XFX < MSI

Asus' noise is uncomfirmed but according to professional reviews it seems to be pretty quiet.

Gigabyte I can't find much on either. But according to user reviews and what people have told me it's noisy and "hot running" while having bad build quality. I can't confirm these claims without having used the card myself or found a professional review.

The Sapphire Nitro I believe also has a decent factory overclock. A little lower than MSI's. But considering it's probably the coolest 390 under load and one of the quietest that's pretty good.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $117.99 @ NCIX US
Memory Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $36.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card $319.88 @ OutletPC
Case Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case $34.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply Thermaltake SMART 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $50.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $89.88 @ OutletPC
Monitor Asus VX248H 60Hz 24.0" Monitor $139.99 @ Micro Center
Keyboard Thermaltake Commander Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Laser Mouse $19.99 @ Micro Center
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1231.43
Mail-in rebates -$85.00
Total $1146.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-12 20:07 EST-0500

One of the highly-rated ITX Boards with Premium ALC1150 Audio, Dual wired NICs (both Intel), Intel wifi, M.2 slot (PCI-E / SATA) as well as USB 3.1 Type-C .. Do chk out the Actual-user reviews of this board on Amazon ..

A 91 % rated PSU on Tweaktown..

AMD Radeon R9 380X Performance Unveiled, 15% Faster Than The Radeon R9 380

390 vs 380X vs 380 vs 960 Benchmarks..

A Killer-looking case to boot..

See if you are eligible for a Students free copy of Windows & Office, I guess a .edu mail is needed for US & other regions.. Helps you save a 90 bucks..

Windows 10 Education for Students

Hope this helps..

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I can get a copy of windows through the student site I believe although I have never installed a fresh OS from a formatted HD. I assume it isnt that complicated.

can you guys tell me why you are suggest the i5 ? ( the fang had the i7 ). I dont really know enough to say wether the price difference etc is worth it

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

For gaming, the price difference is not worth it. No games utilize more than 4 cores, so the hyperthreading (adding 4 more virtual cores) of the i7 would be wasted.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

even on a game like star citizen? the general thinking from the forums seems to be get the best processor you can. sorry im just really trying to figure this out and see if i need to go crazy or not :) ie 16gb or ram opposed to 8gb, upgraded graphics , ssd hd , etc. whats the difference on the combo drive? i saw the fang had a 2tb 128gb hd/ssd combo

also the size of that case looks pretty portable, would it have heat/upgrade issues ? this case looked good as well Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower Case

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

The 6500 is one of the best processors you can get for gaming. An i7 would be more useful if you were editing video, or other tasks that benefit from more cores, but gaming is not one of them. Also, no game is going to use more than 8GB of ram.

I don't have any experience with combo drives, but I'm assuming it's similar to having a separate 128GB SSD and a 2TB hard drive. I'm at work right now so I can do much research.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

what is the advantage of the ssd ? do I even need one? im just looking at the differences to see what makes sense.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

the price diff on the fang is $-70

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes the win installation is fairly straight-forward &No the i7 is better, I had assumed you were under a budget that's why proposed an i5..

The i7 is definitely better than the i7.. Infact the i7-6700K is TOP-DOG, better than everything else right now as far as Gaming goes..

http://us.hardware.info/comparisontable/products/192811-315137-220715-315132

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

so is it worth the $200 difference ?
also what are the advantages of your build over the fang ?
and i assue if i can get win10 via digital DL id have to put it on a USB or something

the price difference on windows on the fang is $60 eatra just fyi http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Fang_BattleBox_I-970

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi dude, lemme answer..

A.

That is for u to decide whether this difference below is worth the 200 bucks or not..

http://us.hardware.info/comparisontable/products/315137-315132

B.

There are many utilities which you can use to create a "bootable windows 10 usb drive"..

Just google it up..

C. The Main issue:

There are many many differences between a self-built custom-PC and these so called Online assemblers..

The FANG which is supposed to be a kick-*** combo has 2 very basic faults.. The 128GBssd/1tbHDD combo drive model "SDSSDP-128G-G25" which is being peddled to u under the glitzy background of a webpage is a "DISCONTINUED OLDER SANDISK drive" worth peanuts prob'bly they got from a warehouse clearance sale or such.. The Cyberpower Power supply unit 600 W they are touting is also prob'bly shiite as it doesn't carry a brand name for reference.. How many of those parts are what quality, who knows..

Another thing is that many part manufacturers like seagate/Western digital etc.. do not entertain direct support requests for failed or problematic parts from individual customers.. They saimply say, "This part/component has been supplied as an OEM product. Pls contact the OEM for support.." so u are bound to them for any support/service requests..

The foremost, Last but not the least, is that building your own PC gives you peace of mind -- Reg the Qlty of the products as well as the running of the components -- u get a very good idea of dealing with many issues/minor adjustments by yourself..

See the case listed in the FANG, Cyberpower battle Station.. some case with a handle, can it compare to this case.. ??

An Astounding 9.8 MUST-HAVE RATED case on Tweaktown and all-over.. Just Google "phanteks evolv itx review"

Let me suggest this build..

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $418.57 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler $69.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $157.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $74.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card HIS Radeon R9 390 8GB IceQ X² OC Video Card $323.98 @ Newegg
Case Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case $64.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ NCIX US
Monitor AOC G2460PF 144Hz 24.0" Monitor $259.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Cooler Master OCTANE Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $44.99 @ SuperBiiz
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1681.14
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $1651.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-13 20:48 EST-0500

B. CASE:

An Astounding 9.8 MUST-HAVE RATED case on Tweaktown and all-over.. Just Google "phanteks evolv itx review"

C. MOTHERBOARD:

An EXCELLENT RATED Small Form-Factor Mini-ITX Motherboard..

EDITORS CHOICE at Eteknix...

D. CPU COOLER:

comparable to the best-in-class. see the comparison:

http://us.hardware.info/comparisontable/products/277227-183459

E. PSU:

EVGA Supernova B2 750W -- 9.0 rated on Jonnyguru..

F. MONITOR:

A FREESYNC 144Hz 24" display to eliminate tearing, stuttering and input lag.. rated at 82%.. see this review.. https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-g2460pf/

G. VIDEO CARD:

A Tier-1 GPU, an Editors choice of R9 390 from the GPU Tier-list.. very well put together..

http://biomtech.weebly.com/gpu-manufacturermodel-tier-list.html

See a much inferior build with a lesser motherboard, cpu cooler & monitor costing more than 2K.. http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1HLLBQ

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

ok i have erased this reply 2x on accident already.

thank you for the info and comparison they were very helpful. although some of the specs /becnhmarks dont mean a whole lot to me. but thats what i came here for , your expertise

the build looks great but on the high side for me , i originally started this with a $700 build that was recommended and every little thing has ratched it up. :(

what would you recommend that might save a few hundred bucks or do you think that line of thinking is unwise ?

do you think that case is portable? nothing crazy just in car to and from work. im not even sure its worth it really but seemed like a good idea.

there was a bunch more but i forgot :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube