add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Safe to Remove Windows and Program Files off of HDD while runnin off SSD?

Jesus_Smith_Nandez
  • 53 months ago

I am running off an SSD and only recently upgraded. My HDD is still full of all my old system and windows files. I no longer need this OS installation or any of the programs on it. If I put all my music, games, etc that I want to save onto the HDD then just delete all the unneeded windows and program files off the HDD, will I he safe or will it **** up my current OS/drivers somwhow? Currently I have everything exactly how it was when I left it and I'm just using my pictures, music, etc right out of the old user files. I know this might seem stupid but I'm a bit worried and thought it would be better to ask about it first.

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

Easiest way to find out.

Unplug the hdd.

If everything carries on working normally you can go ahead and delete anything you don't need off it.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're running Windows from your SSD you no longer need the Windows files on the HDD.

It might be easier to just backup what you need, format the HDD and then use it as data storage. Otherwise you can just delete what you don't need and/or use something like CCleaner.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Safe to Remove Windows and Program Files off of HDD while runnin off SSD?

If absolutely sure that your complete OS is on your SSD, then yes.
However, if current OS was installed into the SSD while the HDD was connected, then some files may actually be in the HDD not the SSD.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm trying to simply delete my windows, user and program files but it keeps giving me a "you need permission" wall and preventing me. I did have my HDD connected with the OS installation but it was onto my SSD. While I was deleting some Windows files, my desktop background became all black. This was fixed by me just setting the background again with eh same picture, but it still spooked me.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube