add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Did you know you CAN share your Steam game library with your buddies???

Tooth

49 months ago

Family Library Sharing User Guide

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3784-QLBM-5731

What is Steam Family Library Sharing?
Steam Family Library Sharing allows family members and their guests to play one another's games while earning their own Steam achievements and saving their own game progress to the Steam Cloud. It's all enabled by authorizing family members' accounts and shared computers.

How do I enable Family Library Sharing on my computer?
To enable Family Library Sharing, first be sure to have Steam Guard security enabled via Steam > Settings > Account in the Steam Client. Then, enable the sharing feature via Settings > Family (or in Big Picture mode, Settings > Family Library Sharing), where you’ll also authorize specific computers and users to share.

Is there a limit to the number of devices or friends I can authorize to share my Library?
Yes. You may authorize Family Library Sharing on up to 10 devices at a given time, and for up to 5 accounts that may then use your game library on any of your authorized computers.

Who owns and can access the DLC and in-game content associated with a shared title?
A guest will have access to the lender's DLC, but only if the guest does not also own the base game. Guests may not purchase DLC or in-game items for a base game they don't own. Any player may purchase, trade, earn, or otherwise acquire in-game content while playing a game, but in-game items cannot be shared between accounts. These items remain the property of the account that purchased or acquired them.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/familysharing/discussions

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Though apparently only one person can use the Steam library at a time. If you wanted a friend or family member to play your games you wouldn't be able to play at the same time.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

That is correct. I think they have 5 mins to exit a shared game.

What a way to play games for free, If your buddy like's you :)

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

How does this work for single player games? Couldn't you just play offline?

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

you'll have access to install and play any of the lender's games on this computer.

Libraries are shared in their entirety

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep. If one of you is in offline mode you can both play games from the library. For example yesterday I went offline so a friend could play Fallout 4 from my library while he was playing I was too.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

A smarter idea would have been the capability to share your Steam library with a limited number of other users where both you and they can play the same games at the same time.

Being able to play games with your friends has a bigger appeal that giving a friend access to play your games while you do something else.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Look at it Steam wise. 1 game purchase of $49 shared with 5 others total cost $49

Purchase of $49 by all 6 users = $250

Steam would not like to lose on additional sales. Probably this "sharing" will lead to increased sales that may not have happened before sharing.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube