add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Case with no USB ports (but Headphone Jack) up front?

Mnemon

47 months ago

Hi,

I wonder if anyone is aware of a case that has no USB ports at the front (but ideally does come with a Headphone Jack).

My thinking is that, at least in theory, I'd love to hold onto a case I like over many builds; so it'd seem sensible to just install a USB port front panel myself and switch that out as standards change - see the now upcoming USB 3.1 Type C ones for example - rather than having to replace the whole case. If I were to do that, anyway, a case that doesn't even come without front ports would sensible and, at least potentially, have a much cleaner design than those with built in ports. [I really dig minimalist cases and clean lines.]

Do any of you know if there something like that out there, currently, that looks decently fine? It's more down to curiosity than anything else really - it's of course just possible to ignore the existing front headers - but why include them if I am not using them anyway, in the long term ... :)

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Whats the point? most motherboards have type C adapters and im sure there are PCIe type c cards that you can use and just plug into the back... don't see why you would want to "upgrade" usb ports...

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

'Cause I tend to keep things for a long time. As the built in front USB ports of cases at the moment are USB 3.0 at best, and with USB 3.1 around the corner the ports in the front will be - theoretically - increasingly outdated as more and more devices come with USB 3.1 (for speed) / type C (for connector type) within a reasonably close time frame. Same with anything in the even further future - whatever updates to USB ports come after that.

I am happy to pay a bit more for a high quality case that I can then have use for 10+ years. Given device and USB standards change it'll be likely that connectors continue to evolve too. So on that end being able to swap them out and remain current with the same case would be lovely. But once I do I end up with unused USB ports built into the front of the case. Which is, of course, practically, not much of a problem, but where my curiosity comes in on a design and 'look' perspective.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Seems more effort than its worth, USB 3.0 is plenty fast and 3.1 will be backwards compatible...

[comment deleted]
  • 47 months ago
  • 1 point

:) Funky. But yeah that could work.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube