add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU Cooler with two PWM fans, mobo has two PWM connectors?

GiSWiG

48 months ago

I have a Z170 Gaming M7 and a CRYORIG R1 Ultimate CPU cooler that I hope to be building tonight. The R1 is a dual tower cooler and comes with two PWM fans and a Y adapter to connect both into one PWM connector on the mobo. The M7 mobo has two PWM fan connecters for CPU fans. Now obviously, the two fans connected to one connecter via the Y adapter should be controlled in sync by that one connection.

Would both fans be controlled in sync if both fans were connected to each of the two CPU fan connecters? Would it be best to use the Y adapter or connect each fan to separate CPU fan headers?

I want to make sure that the mobo tells both fans to run at the same speed and I wonder if it will do that by using both fan headers.

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Would both fans be controlled in sync if both fans were connected to each of the two CPU fan connecters?

Only if both headers have the same setting in bios.

Would it be best to use the Y adapter or connect each fan to separate CPU fan headers?

Use the Y adapter which is perfectly fine. As long as you don't go over 1 amp on the header you will be fine and those fans won't consume that much.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I still question this practice by manufacturers. For example, the H100i GTX uses a single power source to power the pump and two fans. However some motherboards have begun to include a water pump header now.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube