add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help creating a build

ShoutingAtCats
  • 53 months ago

This is going to be my first build and im planning on going all out, but I need some help. I had my original build planned but I just saw the EK - KIT X240 and that changed everything. I wanted to do a custom loop build but I didnt know everything I needed so I was going to do a mid-tower AIO build. Now that ive seen a kit which includes everything for a custom loop I want to use that. I was wondering if someone could put a part list together for me. I want a 980ti, SSD and HDD, Great MotherBoard, Great PSU, Full-tower, ECT. The budget is $2300-$2500 and a color scheme of Black and Green, Black and White, or Black and Red. Thanks in advanced, and I dont mean to sound pushy or anything I just dont know how to word this.

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Get the Fury X instead. I'll be working on some things to help you out.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Update: I've found that the EK 240X kit you're talking about makes compatibility checking very hard. Also, this kit does not contain any VGA waterblocks, and the performance benefit over another AIO liquid cooler would be marginal. For these reasons I am going to use a Swiftech H-series cooler. They're the best fully pre-built liquid coolers around.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks for the help

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $254.88 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Swiftech H240-X 90.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $215.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6+ ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $193.49 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $74.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $74.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $327.99 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $62.00 @ Amazon
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury X 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $608.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury X 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $608.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case $159.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 1300W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $165.98 @ Newegg
Case Fan Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 158.5 CFM 140mm Fan $27.09 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 158.5 CFM 140mm Fan $27.09 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 109.9 CFM 120mm Fan $22.74 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 109.9 CFM 120mm Fan $22.74 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2887.94
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $2847.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-17 01:46 EST-0500

This is what I've worked out, and it goes over budget because it uses the money you would have spent on the EK kit. This is a really, REALLY good build.

The i5-6600K is on par with the i7-6700K when it comes to gaming. It's just the fastest quad core around, and you can overclock it stably to around 4.4GHz.

The Swiftech H-240X is actually carefully built out of custom loop parts, so you get almost the same performance without all the hassle. It's also less expensive and you don't need to worry about making a mistake that drenches all your other parts.

The Fatal1ty Z170 K6+ is a really great motherboard. It has tons of amazing features and it's extremely reliable. It has 12 phase voltage regulation and very high quality 12K capacitors. It's just really good. Really.

The memory I chose is Corsair LPX. It's pretty basic DDR4. 2400MHz/CL14, in other words one step higher speed and one step lower delay than normal DDR4. 32GB isn't completely necessary if all you'll be doing is gaming, so you can buy only one of these kits if you want.

This is the best (reasonable) SSD right now. Samsung 950 PRO. It has read speeds of 2.6 GB/s and write speeds of 1.6GB/s. That is freakishly fast. Put your operating system and your favorite software/games on it. It will boot your OS at light speed.

I chose the Deskstar 2TB for the hard drive. It's a really good deal, and it's fast. In fact, Hitachi drives are faster and more reliable than WD or Seagate. This drive is best for media and such, or for when your SSD runs out of space.

I put 2 Fury X GPUs in this list. Here's why I picked the Fury X over the 980 Ti. It uses HBM instead of GDDR5, so it can use a 4096-bit memory bus. The bandwidth is way higher. Also, the only physical hardware advantage the 980 Ti has is 33% more render cores and 33% more VRAM, but this pales when compared with the Fury X's numerous other advantages (33% more shader cores, 33% more texture cores, 34% more bandiwdth, etc). It uses a liquid cooled design with a 120mm radiator, and it's about 30% shorter than the average 980 Ti. It's got a nice black casing and a red LED saying "FURY X" that will go nicely with the rest of the black and red color scheme. And there are TWO of these things in there.

The SuperNOVA G2 1300 is extremely reliable. It has an 80+ Gold efficiency rating and it's fully modular. The cables are all black and red as well, so it will look great. The wattage allows for another Fury X if you ever decide to upgrade, too! This unit has a 9.7 rating as rated by the editors of JonnyGuru. That's a very, very good rating on that site.

This case looks amazing, and IS amazing too. The Corsair 780T is perfect for cable management, and its airflow is supplemented by the fact that it comes with a few red LED fans. It has a nice window and an easy-to-open side panel.

These Noctua Industrial fans are entirely optional. there are 2 120mm and 2 140mm. If you do decide that it's worth it, I suggest you put the 2 140mm on the Swiftech radiator and one 120mm on each Fury X radiator. These fans have extremely high static pressure and should cool quite a bit better than the stock fans. These are a little louder than normal fans though, so only get these if you can deal with that or if you use headphones.

Keep in mind, if you don't have enough money for all of this at the same time, here is a list of parts that are not necessary for the build to initially work (basically parts you can buy later and add onto it). I'll sort them by price.

• Fury X number 2
  • H240X (If you choose this one you must buy a temporary cooler because Skylake CPUs have no stock cooler)
  • Noctua fans
  • RAM kit number 2
  • Hitachi hard drive

I really hope this helped you. If you need anything else or have any questions about, well anything at all, just ask me and I'll help you thoroughly. Good luck!

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow thanks think ill use most of the stuff from that part list although I really do want to try a custom loop so I think ill stick to the EKWB CPU cooler though

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube