add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Corsair air 540 + case fans

toastie_bacon

47 months ago

Hey all, future first time builder here. Not necessarily looking to build immediately (partially raising money for the build, partially waiting to see what hardware comes out in 2016 because I don't know where to look to see what's going to come out when). The Corsair air 540 is one of the cases I'm looking at for a totally air cooled build (currently looking at the Noctua NH-D15 cooler for the cpu), and I'm trying to figure out what to do with case fans. Corsair's website says you can put six 120mm fans in the case. While I don't know if I would need that many case fans, I'm curious as to where all six would go. I know three could go to the front of the case and one for the rear, would the top only have room for the remaining two fans, or could I fit them elsewhere, like how you could fit a fan at the bottom of the 500R? Air flow has been the thing I've probably been putting the most time into figuring out, with things like how much air flow to put in certain cases, and how to set things up if I were to do an AiO cooler like a H100i or Kraken or something. I know positive airflow is good, but perhaps I'm just overthinking it. Is that what I'm doing here? Or what? Rant over, sorry if I'm confusing.

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 47 months ago
  • 1 point

And for setting them up, you would do 3 intake and 3 exhaust, correct? Or would it be better for something like 4 intake (the 3 in front and the one in the back) and have just the 2 fans at the top be exhaust fans for the sake of positive air flow?

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

Hi toastie__bacon,

The 540 case comes standard with 2 140mm fans in the front and the front fans are the only filtered fans. You can go 3 120mm fans in the front but you will have to buy them. The front fans should be input and the 3 120 will give you the best cooling but maybe a bit more noise over the two 140s. Since your case is coming with the two 140s I would work with them for a while to see if they don't give you enough airflow. 3 front or 2 front will depend on how many GPUs you use. Since you are using a NH-D15 I would have the top front fan blow in giving the input of the D15 a bunch of cool air combined with the front top fan. Then use the top rear fan as exhaust and the back fan as exhaust. You might want to put a mag filter over that top front fan if you use it blowing in. I would experiment for the fun of it to determine what is the best air flow. Three in and three out as suggested by Gamehead9000 or the 4 in 2 out. or 3 in 2 out that I suggested. I doubt you will see much difference either way. It won't make any difference at all to one or two GPUs more than likely.

Frank

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube