add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Stock cooler on load?

Skater_Alex

48 months ago

Would the stock cooler cool my CPU enough when on load? Say I was playing a CPU intestive game such as Cities: Skylines, would my CPU have high temps or it should be alright and able to handle it. Otherwise do I need to get another aftermarket cooler?

EDIT: (I keep on forgetting bits of information on my posts...) Intel Core i7-6700

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

they will get high, but assuming the case has decent air flow and the room temp isn't high, then it should still be within operating range and not have any issues... The stock coolers are meat to be able to handle stock speeds under heavy use in a normal environment... If your in a hot room, have a limited air flow case, or overclock your cpu, then get a better cooler... otherwise people like to swap them out for looks and noise reasons more than temps... a better cooler will usually make less noise under higher loads as they are more efficient and bigger and thus the fans are bigger and don't spin nearly as fast.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Here in Australia, it gets really hot but that's in summer. So, if I add extra fans and my environment is around normal temperatures the stock cooler should be alright under load?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

most likely. But if your in question of it, you might as well just grab a cheap and good entry level upgrade cooler like the Cryorig H7 or the Evo 212. They don't cost much and should give you piece of mind.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

What CPU? Which Stock cooler?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

i7-6700

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

In general the stock cooler will be OK with a CPU at stock frequencies/voltages.

I have a i7-3770 and a two i7-4770s all with stock coolers. The i7-4770s are in in crappy cases with poor ventilation.

One of the i7-4770s has a GTX 770 that is heavily gamed and over time the case temps climb. I am going to transplant this system to a new case with better airflow.

The other i7-4770 has a GTX760 and is not games as hard and the temps are fine.

My i7-3770 is a workstation and runs much heavier CPU loads than the others but has a very small graphics card ( some lame AMD) which is fine since it has no graphics load. This system never gets hot but the case is big and has decent airflow.

So my point is: 1) what Graphics card? 2) what case? 3) what are the ambient temps in the room.

If you have a decent case and your can exhaust the heat from your graphics card effectively then the stock cooler will work fine on an i7-6700 for all but the most demanding CPU workloads.

Hope that helps.

edit: in contrast, my 4790K that is overclocked at 4.7Ghz with 1.275 vCore has a massive air cooler (Cryorig R1 ultimate) and the case (Fractal Design Refine R5) has four inlet fans and one exhaust. The Graphics card (MSI GTX970) also can generate a bit of heat, but under the heaviest loads, the fans will ramp up and keep temps under control. I suspect if I tried this with the stock cooler I would either cook the CPU or be thermally limited and the CPU would throttle back.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

The graphics card is the Asus GTX 970 Strix Edition, case is the Fractal Design Define S and the temperatures are usually around 20 degrees to 35 degrees. The Fractal Design Define S does include 3 fans, so adding another one shouldn't be a problem.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Skylake-K CPU do not ship with Stock cooling solution.

As for my advice if you get a Top high-end CPU put some extra money for a decent cooling solution. You don't have to invest too much if you do not plan to OC.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not getting the i7-6700k only the i7-6700, there is a difference. I'm planning on getting the Cooler Master EVO 212X, in the store I'm buying it costs around $59. (Australian cost)

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know what Australia has available, but there are quieter and better performing coolers than the 212X, but with that cooler you will be fine.

If I were setting that up, I would add one more GP14 fan, and move the fan installed in the rear to the front. Run three intakes, no exhaust fan. I'd remove all the unused PCIe slot blanks. This will create a nice flow of cool air in and an easy path out and you should have no cooling issues at all.

even if you went with two intakes and no exhaust it will probably be fine.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube