add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New Power Supply upgrade for my i7 machine.

Xyele
  • 51 months ago

I've had my current Antec Neo 500W PSU since about 2009/10, and unfortunately I think it may be on it's way out, so I am looking for a new power supply to replace it, this is the current build I am running:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $329.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.50 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $114.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $44.99 @ Newegg
Storage OCZ Trion 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $65.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Storage Western Digital Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card $203.98 @ Newegg
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full (32/64-bit) Purchased For $0.00
Other Antec Neo HE500 500 Watts Purchased
Other Dell S2009w 20" Hd Widescreen Monitor Purchased
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $914.33
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $874.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-19 01:35 EST-0500

I've been looking at the SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W as a possible upgrade, trying to stay as low as possible cost-wise and get a decent PSU with the right wattage for my system, I've never had a SeaSonic PSU so I am curious how those stand up?

Or if anyone has any other recommendations for a PSU upgrade I'm open to suggestions, in the future I might add water-cooling to my system as well, since the Devils Canyon chip runs on the warm side, and also based on my current build, it estimates under 400W usage, so if a lower watt PSU would work, I'd be find going lower wattage to reduce a little cost for a good brand.

Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

Seasonic is widely considered as either the best or one of them with a very high number of top performers and not so many bad ones... plus they make a lot of the units for XFX and other companies... So ya, they are good in general.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

The one you chose is pretty much the best at it's price point. All the better power supplies are more expensive

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

XFX XTR Gold 550W is a good price and is basically the same as that seasonic

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

the XTR 550 is not based on the S12II at all.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I know it is based off of Seasonic however I thought it was that one is all

[comment deleted]
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

correct.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been looking at the SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W as a possible upgrade, trying to stay as low as possible cost-wise and get a decent PSU with the right wattage for my system, I've never had a SeaSonic PSU so I am curious how those stand up?

that psu is cheap and solid. your current psu is made by seasonic, and they have one of the best reputations among psu oem for reliability and performance. what's your budget for the psu?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Price-wise I want to try to stay under 75$ is possible for a decent PSU for my rig, although I have considered adding a H100i series water cooler in the future, so I probably should get a PSU around the 450-500W range is what I am thinking.

Trying to keep the price as low as possible while still buying a decent brand, because I'm upgrading my case as well for more airflow for my 4790k, because it's running almost to 90C+ with Prime95 or Aida64 FPU, and 68-73C gaming or testing with Intel XTU and RealBench.

So price-wise a good brand with around the 450-500W that would power my system for under 75$ at least would be a good starting price point I think.

[comment deleted]
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

That looks like a good one, and I know EVGA is usually a pretty good brand, never had a PSU from them, but I imagine they are pretty good. I also like the fact that it's modular, which will be very nice for cable management.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube