add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help in deciding what Video Card. Motherboard, and Processor to get.

MainlineJunk
  • 53 months ago

I have a budget of about $1,300 with a little bit of leeway.

I'm located in New York about an hour and a half north of NYC.

I want to use the PC for gaming, streaming, and I'd like to be able to do 4k.

I only require a monitor currently and was debating getting a cheaper one for the time being then upgrade to a better one and then use the old one as my second monitor.

I do also require an OS and was going to go with Windows 10 although I may be able to obtain a copy for free through a friend.

I was having trouble deciding on either Intel or AMD, NVidia or ATI, Crossfire or SLI, and a few motherboards: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 / Asus X99-AUSB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard / Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard / Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

I have created a few saved parts lists for a full system if you'd like I can post them for some feedback and to give an idea of what I was thinking.

All help and feedback is appreciated and thank you in advanced!

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 0 points

Sorry to tell you but to game at 4k 60fps you require sli. Ive got a single 980ti and fallout ultra 4k i pull around 40 fps. This is on a 4790k oc to 4.8 and 32 gb 2400 ram. 2 of those cards is going to take your entire budget. However i do pull 110 ish fps at 2k. If you are going to run 2 cards go nvidia. Less stutter than xfire amds. I have the z97 gaming 5 mobo and i love it it goes great with the msi gtx 980ti. You can look at my build if you want ideas but its about 1500 without tax shipping. You could use 16 gb ram and a cheaper cooler if you need to save money.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

Yea well I planned on getting the second card a litfle ways down the line for SLI and get more RAM at the point as well as a better monitor that way im not wasting miney just nit getting it all in one go and will have a PC finally. I did have the 970 picked out but could maybe do the 980 and had the 4790k picked, but I'll take a look at that mobo since you like it so much.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Really the 4790k is overkill solely for gaming. 4690k is just as gaming capable and 100 less. Here is a black white build that will suit gaming. If you plan to sli a 980ti you are going to want a 1k psu. In sli peak usage they pull about 700watts alone. I used this case because i was unsure if you want an optical drive. The nzxt s340 white would go great with this build if you dont want an optical drive. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $227.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler $49.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $114.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $68.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $87.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card $602.99 @ NCIX US
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $54.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1327.82
Mail-in rebates -$60.00
Total $1267.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-20 14:55 EST-0500
  • 53 months ago
  • 2 points

Nice looking build. So youre basically saying I'll need to sli 2 980ti's to run 4k at a decent fps, 2 970's or 2 980 non-ti's will not be sufficient? Also I just really liked the idea of having an i7 over an i5 as I planned on streaming with the PC and figured it would definitely be helpful.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes if you plan on twitch streaming your gaming I would go i7, but only if you are really into the streaming scene. You should be fine on the i5 but more threads will definitely help. As for the great sli debate. By benchmarks sli 970's beat a 980 ti at most resolutions. However, with any dual card config you are going to have stuttering. I havent seen a computer that doesnt including an sli titan x. Not to mention you are at the mercy of drivers or even worse trying to figure out yourself what profile you need to use to force your second card to work. The general concensus is, if you have a 970 already get a second but if you dont, get the 980ti. You always have the option of getting a second down the road.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube