add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
jdese001
  • 50 months ago

so i have a evga supernova 650W GS, was working great till i noticed after a few hours of gaming it starts making a high piercing noise, i called their support he said to make sure it is coming from the psu first so i waited until it made the noise again, covered the fan with a plate and it muffled the noise, he said if that happens then it is the psu, guess i got one that is faulty, so my question is should i stick with the GS and get a replacement or go with a G2 or a P2, or is there not much of a difference between the performance/ quality

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

sounds like coil whine, no stranger to seasonic psus, but can happen with anything. if EVGA support will accommodate definitely ask for a 650 G2. they are not the same in terms of performance/quality, the G2 has a significant lead in both. the GS does have a better type of fan, but the G2 has a larger, quieter fan, a quieter fan profile and longer warranty.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I went with the GS because it is more compact.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

even still, there are better options at 140-160 mm long. Coolermaster's VS semi modular units are 140 mm and better than the GS, Silverstone has several strider gold 140-150 mm psus. Cyonic AUx series, which use the same internals as the GS 550/650, are also more compact at 140 mm long. looking at this from any and all angles, there is no reason to pick the 550/650 GS aside from the price being low. the price rightfully should be $20 lower than the respective sized G2 units and at least $10 lower than the myriad of units based on Seasonic's S12G/G platform. usually not the case. either way if it works for you it matters not, it's too late to make other considerations.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly. I got it for half off with the purchase of my EVGA GTX 970 as well as half off an EVGA Torq X10l, so I'm pretty happy with it.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

This I totally agree with.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

yes thats what i thought about the coil whine, but support said that, if its gunna make that sound that it would as soon as you turn it on until you turn it off, the thing is that it only makes that noise after a few hours of playing a game, but its definitely coming from the psu, my case is the air 540 so the psu is seperated from the rest of the hardware so its easy to isolate the sound.

heres a link to the noise https://youtu.be/syr6kl9kAtw

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube