add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Primarily for editing 20-30 minute 4k Videos

TheWolfofBeesWorkshop
  • 53 months ago

Hello all!

I'm looking to build a rig that will be primarily for editing 4K video with total run times when finished of 20-30min (not sure if that's entirely important). I also do some gaming but am not as concerned about gaming in 4K just want something that allows me to go through 4K video I need to edit (being able to play new games on decent settings is enough for me!). I don't need a monitor, mouse or keyboard. Will need Windows 10.

Budget I'm eyeing would be sub 3000$ Canadian (about 2200 USD right now)

I'm in Ontario, Canada.

I'm pretty new to this and trying to learn, figured some advice will be useful. Thanks!

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

No monitor? No problem: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dionisios/saved/#view=VTm9TW

You need lots of RAM and lots of CPU cores and LOTS of cheap disk space...feel free to add another 3 or 4 TB HDD.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks for the quick reply!

Just curious since this is well under my budget what things would be upgrade able for even better performance?

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

If you don't mind the cost, I'd grab a 980TI GPU for 1440p at 60fps gaming on ultra settings.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

What about for specifically video editing/workflow?

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm not sure what software you plan to run, but I would budget the cost for that as well- like Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Photoshop at a minimum. How are you capturing the footage?

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

The footage is 4k Raw from a Black Magic Production 4K,

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's a good red/black build that would suit your needs. It has plenty of upgrade paths and sacrifices little while improving aesthetics. It can upgrade to better enterprise 10-18 core processors when businesses begin upgrading down the road, can easily fit 2 more 980 ti's for 3 way SLI and has 4 open ram slots with a max of 128 gb. The motherboard bios is excellent and has manual overclocking and preselected overclocks for different processors. It overclocks this processor at 4.4 ghz at 1.308 volts stable. If you need an optical drive you will need a different case but in this case I would use the radiator in an exhaust configuration with the two 120mm fans I selected. They have a much higher cfm and well they just look cool. Also replace the back fan with the 140mm. This config will cause negative air pressure in the case so the front fans should eventually be replaced with better fans when budget allows. This works as a great 4k video editing workstation and will play all current high end games on a 1440 120+hz on ultra rarely dipping below 90fps. Sorry its all US links but it should give you a good place to start. Good luck. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor $374.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler LEPA AquaChanger 240 103.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $77.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $213.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $84.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $84.99 @ Newegg
Storage PNY CS2111 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $123.26 @ Amazon
Storage Toshiba 5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $144.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card $638.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case $118.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $85.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB (32/64-bit) $105.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan Aerocool Shark 140mm Red 96.5 CFM 140mm Fan $11.99 @ Directron
Case Fan Aerocool Shark 120mm Red 82.6 CFM 120mm Fan $13.99 @ Directron
Case Fan Aerocool Shark 120mm Red 82.6 CFM 120mm Fan $13.99 @ Directron
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2140.11
Mail-in rebates -$45.00
Total $2095.11
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-23 01:40 EST-0500
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

The fans I selected are not the best by any means. They have great cfm but only ok static pressure at like 1.2. If you want to spend more you can find fans with slightly lower cfm but 4 or 5 times the static pressure which helps keep the fan at speed with resistance from the slowed air in the radiators. Just fyi if you didnt know.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube