add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is there a case for this motherboard?

Skylord

47 months ago

I Am building a low budget gaming computer. I am thinking of bgoing with an older xeon processor for this. I then found this combo on eBay. I

I am wondering if there is a case that can fit this with a gpu and atx power supply.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T3500-LGA1366-DDR3-XPDFK-Motherboard-with-2-40GHz-Xeon-FAST-SHIP-/272108224727?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

Thanks for the help and sorry for the typos/other mistakes I'm on my phone haha

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks proprietary to me.

The CPU was released in 2009, so since this PC was made before 2012 it will use proprietary parts. All Dell's before 2012 use proprietary parts.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I used one of Dell's proprietary cases for one of my first builds and I could fit an mATX mobo in one just fine.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

That doesn't mean you can fit that mobo in a normal case.

What model was the dell?

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't remember, it was old an running XP and had an old AMD chip in it.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

That is true but I am not even finding dell cases that fit it!

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think it's worth it. By the time you mod something or rig something to make it fit and get a fan on that CPU, there are many other options on mATX standard boards that would perform better.

Used i3-530's are like $15 on ebay. Find a used 1156 socket board and that will out perform the older Xeon by a nice margin.

Brand new haswell celerons for $45, on a $45 H81 board. Wouldn't cost much more ($30), but would perform 50% better.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually have seen videos that show a similar build performing really well. If I don't get this I will get the a10 7870k

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

videos about celerons or old xeons?

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Mainly old xeons.

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

Make sure you're comparing apples to apples. I ran across similar videos but they were dealing with older Xeons with more cores, and/or dual socket builds. In most of those examples, a "modern" piledriver build (8320E on a GA-78LMT-USB3) would be about the same cost to implement and be better equipped (more client based I/O like sound, USB) and easier to setup and perform better for gaming.

In this case, you're looking at old architecture, with only 2 cores, without hyper-threading, at low clock speeds. Like a Core2 Duo at 2.4GHZ, disguised as a xeon. Performance will be comparable to an Athlon II X2 or A4-4000 APU.

I don't think it's worth $60 with shipping. Not when there are brand new products that could perform so much better for only slightly more money and be far less hassle to implement and setup.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

That is very true, I am mainly looking to save as much money as I can haha.

Looks like I will be going with the a10-7870k :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube