add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming desktop $1500 budget

AaronAuron
  • 52 months ago

I've come up with a few of my own based off of research I've been doing over the passed month or so on my down time. It's just coming down to "Do I want to spend the bit of extra money for the 'futureproof' of a 6700K build or by the time I need to replace either of these builds will I have to upgrade pretty much everything anyways and just save myself the few hundred bucks with a 4790K for now."

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hjRQXL http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2bkCGX

Was hoping someone could come up with a solid gaming rig that maybe included a 1440 monitor over 60Hz since I plan to have my fps well over 60 while gaming.

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Both of those builds are solid but i think you are overpaying on the air cooler. FOr that price you could get a very good All in one watercooler. That being said both would do everything you need and then some.

Are you willing to accept a build of lesser parts with the intent to upgrade to include the monitor because 144hz monitors are not cheap.

Also for gaming 8gb of ram is plenty Again intent to upgrade.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

"Both of those builds are solid but i think you are overpaying on the air cooler. FOr that price you could get a very good All in one watercooler." What kind of water cooling options would I have for this case? Only reason I never looked into any is because it seems complicated.

"Are you willing to accept a build of lesser parts with the intent to upgrade to include the monitor because 144hz monitors are not cheap. " I don't mind going down to like a 1080p instead of 1440 monitor I think I had seen some for $250 which isn't bad for I think it was 24"

"Also for gaming 8gb of ram is plenty Again intent to upgrade." Only reason I had gone with the extra ram is I was reading online (but we know we can't always trust everything we read online) that watchdogs was a huge RAM user; upwards of like 6Gb so I figured that because so high I may as well just go a little extra because games will probably use more soon.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $269.98 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler $32.08 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $124.10 @ NCIX US
Memory PNY Anarchy 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $48.13 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $90.24 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.09 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB SOC Video Card $331.68 @ Amazon
Case Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $44.18 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $76.28 @ Newegg
Monitor Acer XG270HU 144Hz 27.0" Monitor $485.76 @ Mac Mall
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1591.52
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $1551.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-24 22:48 EST-0500

Parts list is built to my states sales tax of 7%, please adjust accordingly.

SO i went with an i5 over an i7. Gaming wise they are just about equal. I went with a smaller form factor simply because i had to fit in that very pricey monitor. The good news is that monitor and the graphics card both support freesync so you would be good to go in that respect. Also that is the shortest R9 390 so it should fit without a hitch.

If you want to go crossfire you will have to replace the PSU. I had to keep iton the smaller side of things due to budget reasons, but the supernova GS is made by Seasonic and is a tier 1 PSU. (best of the best PSU's)

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I did have another build in mind at some point and it was a 6600K: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yxwkVn , but If i'm upgrading to a platform that uses DDR4 shouldn't I just upgrade to the more powerful stuff for sake of less off chance to have to upgrade. I plan to keep this build for 5+ years considering I've had my current laptop since 2010 (has a i7 Q740 and a RADEON 5800); honestly anything at this point is a HUGE upgrade hah. The other idea I had in mind with the i7's is it would help me with every day tasks such as browsing (I tend to open up like 10+ tabs at a time when I start researching something) as well as loading up any basic processes/window's programs. Do you think the extra threading from an i7 would be negligible?

EDIT: Another question that has been boggling me is why there are so many different brands of the same components? IE I've seen Sapphire R9 390's and ASUS R9 390's. Is it personal preference or are there CLEAR winners of each component? I'm sure there has to be a brand out there that specializes in specific components or have vastly better qualities.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is another build for you to consider. This build will accomplish what you are asking.

You can BCLK overclock non K Skylake cpu's, BIOS download here: http://overclocking.guide/intel-skylake-non-k-overclocking-bios-list/ Benchmark video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrfTcXQlsbs

This build has a 27' 144HZ 1440 Monitor with 1ms response time.

The power supply is on the budget side but is a 600 watt and is bronze certified. This build only needs 356 watts so it will not be working hard at all.

Anyway have a look I think you will like it. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.98 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler LEPA AquaChanger 240 103.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $77.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $82.98 @ Newegg
Memory Avexir Core Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Patriot Blast 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $38.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $39.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 980 4GB AMP! Omega Edition Video Card $414.99 @ NCIX US
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case $67.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer $13.89 @ OutletPC
Monitor Acer XG270HU 144Hz 27.0" Monitor $453.99 @ Mac Mall
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1505.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-25 12:10 EST-0500

EDIT

Also if you have an old computer that this is replacing and you can salvage parts from it I would clean them up and add them to this build. Could save some money that can be added else where or can just cost less overall. i:e HD, SSD, CD/DVD write/Reader, Fans, etc etc.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

"Also if you have an old computer that this is replacing and you can salvage parts from it I would clean them up and add them to this build. " The only thing I would use from this laptop is the HDD considering it is basically brand new, but I plan to probably use this as a mobile device I can go and LAN with friends or something.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I found an answer to my own question (I think). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8RoVXZBsJ8 explained the whole sapphire asus thing. After looking at a bunch of different bench marks it basically comes down to the CPU doesn't really bring in a HUGE factor in gaming as of yet; even in games like crysis or battlefield that I've seen people say utilize more than 4 cores. So I think I should maybe for with a 6600K or 4790K and upgrade the GPU to maybe a GTX 980 or 980Ti. Would that be a bottleneck?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I would not rule out saving money on a non K series CPU and using BCLK overclocking if you are planning on over clocking, there are savings to be had without compromising performance.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube