add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Workstation/Gaming rig for $2000

cburns410
  • 53 months ago

I need a workstation and gaming rig as the title suggests. I would prefer for it to run all current games, ultra settings, 1080p, 1440p, and also for it to be able to run majority of future games. It will also need to handle large, and demanding programs open at once such as Sony Vegas and Photoshop. It also needs to be able to cope with the demands of Unity3D and Unreal Engine. It will also need to run smoothly with programs like lumion, blender, Maya and similar programs if I ever decide to change. I am starting from literally nothing so I need all extras and a OS. I also do plan on overclocking. Basic Requirements I5 or higher, 16 Gb of Ram, SSD to hold OS and larger programs, 2 tbs of storage, 2 monitors All help with this build is greatly appreciated. Edit- Budget is now around $2750

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

Putting the brakes on at the 5820K and R9 390 here because these are where the value road ends, and the astronomical price scaling for diminishing returns road begins.

CPU's and GPU's above this class do not deliver an increase in performance proportional to their increase in price, the way that CPU's and GPU's at and below the 5820K / R9 390 do. If we are trying to make a machine with lots of nice peripherals, in a nice case, with plenty of functionality and working space (RAM/SSD/HDD), then putting up a "stop" at this CPU and GPU choice will be a very small compromise in performance compared to spending hundreds more, and free up a lot of budget to round out the machine.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor $374.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler $46.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $189.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $79.89 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $79.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Mushkin Reactor 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $249.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $104.99 @ Amazon
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card $279.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $119.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $93.99 @ Amazon
Monitor Acer G257HU smidpx 60Hz 25.0" Monitor $254.10 @ B&H
Keyboard Cougar 600K Wired Gaming Keyboard $98.98 @ Amazon
Mouse Corsair KATAR Wired Optical Mouse $39.99 @ Amazon
Headphones Plantronics Gamecom 780 7.1 Channel Headset $49.99 @ Newegg
Amp Topping VX1 2x25W Class T Amplifier $119.00 @ Parts-Express
Speakers Pioneer SP-BS22LR 4" Andrew Jones-designed 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair $129.00 @ Parts-Express
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2645.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-25 12:53 EST-0500
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't remember where I saw it but I heard that AMD gpus tend to have a bit more trouble with video editing and rendering compared to Nvidia, can you confirm if this is true?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

You mentioned only Sony Vegas and Photoshop and those game building applications, which will all run really well on radeon. In fact, Sony Vegas scales better with radeon than GeForce as it is openCL optimized.

If you have other big apps in mind, that require functionality only provided by GeFroce, or Quadro, then you should go back in time, and edit that into your original post so that we don't waste time advising GPU's hat aren't suited to your software needs ;)

If you need advanced openGL viewport support, or CUDA raytracing engine support, then yea, lets talk GeForce/Quadro for this build. If not, then Radeon is a competitive option.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Oops, didn't realize I forgot to include it with my original post, I'll include it now.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

GTX970/980.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Another option to 2 monitors is one big one with accurate color and solid gaming. Your 980ti will eat it up. Dell U3415W

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm sorry for not mentioning it previously but I also need a keyboard, mouse, and I'd prefer either a decent sound system or a nice headset. Also going by previous comments what would be better, 2 high end monitors paired together or one even higher end but larger monitor. I'm looking for input on the monitor situation, thanks for all the help so far guys.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

The only build so far with a PCIe SSD. A big plus when working with large video file. I added 3 1TB drive you can set them UP in raid 5. it'll give you 2TB of storage and 1 drive failure. Which means if one of your hard drive breaks, you'll still be able to use the computer. All you'll have to do is replace it. No data loss.

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.44 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $251.99 @ NCIX US
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $149.99 @ Newegg
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB PCI-E Solid State Drive $339.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card $649.99 @ Amazon
Case Cooler Master N400 ATX Mid Tower Case $52.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.98 @ Mac Mall
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $89.99 @ NCIX US
Total $2684.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-25 13:16 EST-0500
[comment deleted]
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you'll need to add $500 ideally especially since you need everything including 2 monitors!

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $104.20 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $199.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $87.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $84.34 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $63.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card $599.99 @ Amazon
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case $67.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $15.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $89.99 @ NCIX US
Monitor Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor $129.99 @ Micro Center
Monitor BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor $139.00 @ Amazon
Total $2038.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-24 22:32 EST-0500

Will handle anything you need. You don't need to increase your budget by 500 that's ridiculous.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

If he's doing image and video editing, he shouldn't be using bargain basement monitors. That's pretty much what increases the price by $500 at least. If he's cool with junkie displays (no offense) :) but gaming monitors are not for real work that requires color accuracy and uniformity out of the box.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

I guess so. You can't really argue with the hardware tho

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes- the hardware is solid. I'd personally throw 32GB of RAM in there for a little extra cash. Video editing needs beastly amounts of RAM especially large projects. And if you ever want to mess with 4K video- the more RAM the better- even 64GB isn't crazy.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Also replace memory with a 4x4gb kit to get the most of the quad channel X99 spec.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

4 X 4 will support lots of channel interleave, but no rank interleave. 2 X 8GB will support some channel and some rank interleave, and leaves a better upgrade path in-tact.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting- isn't there an issue pairing different RAM sticks? I've always thought buying a kit that is designed to work together is the most stable solution.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

For full interleave support across many-DIMM's without stability or interleave scaling penalties does require that all of the DIMM's be constructed of the same (or very similar) memory chips with the same profiled drive levels and timings. They don't necessarily have to be bought in a "kit" to accomplish this, this is just a way to ensure that you are indeed matching those requirements.

It would be wise, when upgrading a machine configured with 2 X 8GB, to 4 X 8GB or 8 X 8GB, to buy the exact same model memory kits to upgrade with. The "hope" of course, is that the kit does not "change" behind the model number.

We face the same problem with a 4 X 4 GB kit, adding another 4 X 4GB kit in order to enable both rank and channel interleave and upgrade to 32GB total. We'd have to hope that the second 4 X 4GB kit matches the first.

In otherwords, a non-destructive upgrade path for memory is always a crap-shoot. Sometimes we can get matched memory, sometimes we can't. Sometimes, it doesn't really matter that much because we can manually configure timings and drive levels to match at a "compromise / lowest common denominator leaning conservative for stability" sort of solution and probably never notice a difference in performance unless we're bench-marking anyways. I've mixed memory (with very different characteristics) in systems and manually configured speeds/timings/drive-levels to achieve stability and interleave capabilities. It can be done.

Pretty much all 4GB DDR4 DIMM's are single ranked. In 8GB size, as far as I know, all consumer (non-ECC/Reg) DDR4 DIMM's are dual ranked.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube