add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Questions with getting Windows 10

DrTot
  • 53 months ago

Well, the time has finally come to start building my PC. Parts have start arriving, I'm just waiting on the Case and PSU. The one thing I have not bought yet is the OS. I'm going to go for Windows 10 and I was wondering if there is a possible way I could get it for free? Instead of having to buy an external optical drive and a CD copy of Windows or buying it on USB ( http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Flash-Drive/dp/B01019T6O0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452381375&sr=8-1&keywords=windows+10+usb+flash+drive ). None of the current computers in my household are running win10. So I can't use the method of getting it onto a USB by downloading it off of the PC. Please help.

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

you cant get it free...

you CAN download it to usb from another computer running a different version of windows though...

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

He can get it for free if he purchases W7 and upgrades ;)

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

that's not free as w7 costs money :P

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey, he asked how he could get W10 free, not a free OS in general :p.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I'm going to try downloading Windows 8.1 onto USB off of my laptop then upgrading it to windows 10 once I install it on my new PC. Would that work?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

it might, but it also might make the laptop install invalid as a result since it uses that key to upgrade the other one.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

I wont be using my laptop anymore once I get my new PC, so it's fine if only one is able to upgrade

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

well, then the technical and legal sides are at odds so im not going to tell you to do it, but...

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I have windows 8 on my laptop, and same as this guy i am about to begin building a pc and am looking to os's. i want to continue to be able to use my laptop so i'm committed to purchasing windows 10. From the windows store is £99.99 home and £189.99 pro http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/cat/Windows/categoryID.70034700 whereas sofwaregeeks have the pro for £39.99 https://softwaregeeks.co.uk/product/windows-10-pro/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAz5y1BRDZ4Z_K_eGa84cBEiQAtQkeaNxONVIJAY2OcYjQxEQqD5jLs2zXLahZaNq50aFtFFkaApBn8P8HAQ it seems like a no brainer but what do you seasoned lot think? Is there a better option than this? What would you guys do? Any pro's or con's to enlighten me? Thanks

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube