add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Desktop tower, budget $500-600 Canadian

scrawny
  • 53 months ago

My old Acer Aspire M1200 is about 8 years old now and I want to replace it.

I'd like to have something which retains the 4 HDMI ports at the front (3 at the least), has an SSD drive to go along with the addtional 1T SATA I already have in the Aspire, a quiet power supply and graphic card, as much memory as can fit budget, and whatever else members suggest should be in the unit.

I don't do any gaming right now, but power supply should be big enough to handle a future graphic card suitable to gaming.

Most of my computer time is spent writing stuff, email, watching movies, surfing the net, doing something in CorelDraw and Gimp.

Main concerns are quietness of computer and quality of parts. I want to run dual boot Windows / Ubuntu and Ubuntu comes with Radeon driver support out of the box, but I'll leave it to you folks to advise on parts.

Would an AMD APU be an option instead of a separate graphic card? Thanks for your help.

PS: Canadian dollars being spent, which right now are about 1/2 US dollars.

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

A Gen 6 CPU that has hyperthreading for virtually 4 cores that can smoke any APU. The integrated graphics on the I3- 6300 is actually pretty good and should be able to handle everything that you have listed. For the HDMI, I say just get USB to HDMI adpaters like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812117562&cm_re=video_card_hdmi_output-_-12-117-562-_-Product .

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-6300 3.8GHz Dual-Core Processor $204.95 @ shopRBC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $82.50 @ Vuugo
Memory Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $56.76 @ DirectCanada
Storage Crucial BX100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $85.98 @ Amazon Canada
Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $57.99 @ NCIX
Power Supply EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Canada Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $568.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-27 10:41 EST-0500
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is a suggestion, I will explain why I used these parts.

The G4500 is a skylake CPU that has HD 530 integrated graphics, this is the most affordable skylake CPU with HD 530 graphics. If you are not really gaming at this point it should be enough to do what you mentioned.

The MoBo is a Z series, this part is intended for you to build on and upgrade over time. It also will allow you to BCLK overclock this CPU or another non K series CPU if/when you upgrade down the road. I would suggest an i5 6500 for gaming.

BIOS link to BCLK here: http://overclocking.guide/intel-skylake-non-k-overclocking-bios-list/

Bench mark video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrfTcXQlsbs

Just make sure you add a good quality CPU cooler if you decided to OC this computer at some point.

The power supply is a high quality unit that will allow for future upgrades with no worries.

Anyway have a look and all the best with your build!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G4500 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor $117.98 @ DirectCanada
Motherboard ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $147.30 @ DirectCanada
Memory Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $105.75 @ Vuugo
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $55.01 @ DirectCanada
Case Azza CSAZ-207BL ATX Mid Tower Case $39.88 @ Canada Computers
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $120.00 @ shopRBC
Optical Drive LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer $17.95 @ Vuugo
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $603.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-27 12:11 EST-0500
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Amazian and Barnabus for your help.

Is a 120GB SSD a good size for a C drive (hold my vist and ubuntu and related O/S stuff), or should I look at a bigger one for future expansion?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube