add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Overclocking CPU and GPU, how many watts needed?

Peter8core
  • 50 months ago

Hey everyone,

I'm building a new pc and the power consumption calculator of the site shows a total 524W plus some peripherals it should be a bit under 550w.

I'm planning on using the ASUS geforce gtx 980 ti 6GB STRIX and the Intel i7 5930k. I would like to have the capability of overclocking them both simultaneously and the watts indicated on the calculator are, I presume, without overclocking.

So I would like to ask you if there is any problem with buying just 550w or I should use more and if yes how much should it be?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

with that setup I recommend a 650 watt as it will handle the build overclocked and all. now, the 5930K has the advantage of extra pci-e lanes over the 5820K, but it is pointless if you're using a single gpu system, effectively a waste of ~$200 (unless you got the 5930k for cheap or something). being that you're looking into a 550 watt psu that alone negates any possible value in buying the 5930K over the 5820K.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube