add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Want to build a PC, but I don't how to start! HELP PLEASE

ovojorge
  • 52 months ago

Hey everyone, I am completely new to this building a PC thing. I was looking for a laptop powerful enough to handle some 3D Modeling programs because I am an engineering student working with programs like SolidWorks, PTC Creo, AutoCAD, etc.. My friend recommended building a PC because it is cheaper, can always upgrade, and the best reason, it is WAY more powerful than any laptop.

Let me get to the point, I have no idea about parts, what is compatible with what or anything at all. I have 2 friends who are willing to help me build a PC, but I would also want some recommendations and opinions from everyone here.

My budget around $1,700. Want it to be powerful enough for 3D Modeling, but since I am building a PC, why not for gaming as well? I would love to get into that as well. I need help starting from a processor, motherboard all the way down the list up to a monitor etc. Luckily I get Windows 10 from my university for free, so I do not have to worry about that. I am located in the United States.

I am a noob, also, if you guys can recommend any websites or books to look at in order to become more familiar with PC building, that would be great.

NOTE: With the price, also need monitor, keyboard, mouse included. Thank you to everyone

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

This looks so sick! I shall show my friends, do some research myself, thank you for your time!

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Always good to have friends willing to help and I think I can make some really good recommendations for 1700 dollars.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

You an find any number of how to videos online.
This is the newest chipset, with super fast ddr4 ram and 16gb of it as well.
Its a red/black build with a case that has red leds you can turn on and off.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $204.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.50 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $118.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $94.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $82.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $63.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card $623.00 @ Amazon
Case NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case $136.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $109.99 @ Newegg
Monitor Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor $249.00 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1734.31
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $1704.31
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-29 13:30 EST-0500
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

The Ram might be overkill as far as speed. but you've got a ton of quality parts, a top of the line gpu and a red and black themed build in one of my favorite cases. (Actually my fiancées favorite case)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube