add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First PC Build need guidance on parts. Budget is $500-$600. I already have a Full Tower

AlmostReal
  • 52 months ago

Hi all, This is my first time posting. I am looking to build a PC tower for slight gaming, mostly First Person Shooter Games. I also am gonna have the computer running 24/7 so i can stream everything from my Plex server which i will store on my local hard drives. I already have a few parts so this will eliminate a few parts. I want a Intel processor and Nvidia card like GTX 960 or something. I dont want an ATI card. So anyway the items I already have are...

1. Cooler Master 932 HAF which is a Full Tower
  2. Seagate 4tb 3.5 inch Hard drive
  3. 60inch lcd Vizio TV i will be using as my monitor via HDMI
  4. Keyboard and Mouse
  5. Operating system

The build I put together went way over $500-$600 but i think its because i chose a more powerful power supply than needed and better motherboard than needed. Oh i also wanted to stress that I need a Motherboard that i can upgrade as time goes on, so say in a year i want to upgrade to a real nice $500 graphics card, the motherboard will allow it and so will the power supply. The build i put together is below. Please recommend what your thoughts are and modify it as you see fit. Primarily i will be using this PC for Plex server running 24/7 to stream remotely mostly. Bear in my mind i have a 40mbps upload speed and the occasional gaming minimally.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/AlmostReal/saved/#view=dqYscf

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

Okay Here is about as close as I can get it.

• Non-K CPU. Can be upgraded at a later date to one that is : ADD a cooler if you do.
  • Z-170 chipset to allow some BCLK overclocking without any performance penalties.
  • 2Gb Video card is plenty to handle textures at 1080p or lower. Any higher resolution may require 4 GB.
  • PSU allows for system wide upgrades and multiple HDDs, without blowing everything up. OEM is SuperFlower, This PSU is Tier 2, a solid unit.
  • DDR4-2400 RAM. Faster than 2166 with benefits you can actually experience
  • NOTE: This list includes MiRs, which usually after approval and processing take a few weeks to come back to you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $100.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $67.99 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card $174.99 @ NCIX US
Case Cooler Master HAF 932 Black ATX Full Tower Case -
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer $12.88 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $666.82
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $616.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-30 00:55 EST-0500

Yes, it's a bit over, but unless you're willing to go with a GTX 950 video card, its the most flexible without sacrificing quality.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Vizo.. ew is it 1080 or 720? what hz is it 30/60/120? its probably 60 but it might be 30 and that means it can only display 30fps.. therefore a much cheaper graphics card can be used in that case. FPS games, ok CSGO? If so, its highly optimized at requires minimal hardware requirements to play with high settings. Your budget is more than enough. I will await your response

• 52 months ago
  • 0 points

It is 1080p, 60hz

Games are like Call of Duty: all the new ones Battlefield 4 Crysis Crysis 3 Fallout 4

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, and im assuming power draw is a factor since this is a always on machine, so you wont be overclocking right?

• 52 months ago
  • 0 points

Thank you for your quick response. Dont know if my reply came through

Its a 60hz 1080p

games are Call of duty, battlefield 4, and Fallout 4 and similair new games

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Optical drive might not be needed (since you can download windows and install it from a thumb drive) so i didn't include it, and the stock cooler works great on this cpu so i didnt include that either.

This is higher performing, lower power using and more reliable components at max power draw of 255W acording to pcpartpicker, which is actually the MAX MAX, it will probably be more like 130-150 the majority of gaming time, half that running plex server alone

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $56.79 @ Amazon
Memory Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $36.99 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $36.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card $199.99 @ Amazon
Case Cooler Master HAF 932 Black ATX Full Tower Case -
Power Supply SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $72.99 @ NCIX US
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $603.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-29 21:32 EST-0500
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you for your reply back. I like the build you put together for me. Will the motherboard allow me to upgrade a lot of things in this a few years down the road? also i want to have at least three or four 3.5 inch drives inside and also a 2.5inch SSD to run the operating system. I already have these drives so no need to include them with the pricing. Is the Asus H110M motherboard gonna be able to support 6+ hard drives? will this motherboard support SLI if i want in the future?

Is the processor you recommended able to be overclocked?

• 52 months ago
  • 3 points

SLI is a pain in the tookus sometimes plus this cheap motherboard doesnt support it i would just upgrade the graphics card itself in the future as it almost always makes more sense now-a-days. The next step up from the 960 is a R9 390 8gb card which is only $80 more than this 960. It has the best price point of any card on the market and its only going to go down, but you wont need that much power without a monitor that can support 100+hz 1440+ pixels. This is a small micro atx board however you could put 4 sata 3 or 6 hard drive or other devices into it and pick up a couple of these to extend the capabilities ( http://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Port-PCI-Express-SY-PEX40039/dp/B005B0A6ZS ) so you could have up to 8 drives in theory. Sata III wont be bottleknecked by PCI-Ex1. assuming your drives are not sata 6, even sata 6 is not yet being fully utilized in terms of its potential speed. give it a couple more years. Some Full size ATX mobo's have 6 sata ports on the board and you could get ones that ALSO have m2 ports to increase your drive capacity further, but its guna cost you closer to $75+ for a cheap one that does that and a decent one will be around $125.

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

Non-K CPUs cannot be overclocked by an unlocked multiplier. There are some non Z170 motherboards that may allow for BCLK overclocking, but Z170 boards will allow BCLK overclocking without any penalties AND allow you to upgrade later to an overclockable CPU (like the i5-6600k or i7-6700k NOTE: the k series CPUs do not come with a heatsink and fan, so it is imperative you get a cooler.)

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your input. That sounds like a good build. How much more would it be to upgrade to the i5-6600k so I can over lock if I want.
Also, the video card you suggested is 2gb vram, isn't there a 4gb version that's just about the same price?

Please let me know.

Also I want to be able to hook up at least 4-6 3.5 inch 4tb drives and also will be adding a 2.5inch ssd for the operating system.

Let me know what all I need for Brackets so the 2.5 inch ssd will fit.

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

To upgrade (before purchasing the CPU) to the i5-6600k is an increase of $57 PLUS the cost of a competent cooler as it doesn't come with one.

There are video cards that do have more RAM, but when you use a MiR to reach a certain price point, there is no 4GB video cards at the MiR price point. If you exclude the MiR, then yes, there are some 4GB models that might even be slightly cheaper than its given price.( ~$200) For the most part, 2GB is enough for 1080p or lower graphics resolution though.

Your case tops out at 5 - 3.5" bays unless you use adapters for the 5.25" bays. four of your 3.5 bays probably won't need adapters for using 2.5" drives. Also, if you use an M.2 SSD with a motherboard that has the M.2 slot, you won't use a drive bay on the case. If you do need brackets, some SSD kits are nice enough to include them.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your reply back. You all have been great with your advice. Im gonna make the purchases today. I would like to get the i5-6600k so i can overclock if needed in the future and will pay the additional cost. So what cooler would you recommend i get? Remember i plan on having this tower on 24/7 and will want it to be as quiet as possible.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I am about to buy the same video card you recommend but gonna spend the few extra dollars for the 4gb version listed below

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487155

Is the 750W power supply gonna be sufficient for this card and the 6600k CPU ?

Do i need thermal paste or anything else? If so which do you recommend?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I dont particularily like the CX psu's by corsair, they are cheap internals. Seasonic is USA made, highly reliable track record. Asus is also USA made, and has SUPERB customer service and high quality motherboards (maybe better than MSI even). You are on the right track with the i5, but get a skylake (newer version) they suck up less juice and perform better. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE 4GB VERSION OF THAT VIDEO CARD NOT THE 2GB ITS THE SAME PRICE!! Good luck with your plex server, i hear they are a ***** since last August. Oh ya, last thing, ram coolers mean nothing, dont worry about the looks man get something with the lowest CAS latency, most capacity, highest speed for the best price. Crucial, Intel and Samsung make the best SSD's, crucial also makes HIGHLY reliable RAM.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Do i need any additional cables to connect a bunch of hard drives up to the motherboard and stuff like that? What else do i need?

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

If you don't have them already. the motherboard should come with some SATA cables. If between what you got and what comes with the motherboard doesn't have enough SATA cables, you will need to get more.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Uh, Crucial BX series is pretty slow stuff.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

ya, its definitely not high quality ram but with the budget in mind i dont think the real world performance loss will be at a noticeable level, however better ram is only $30 more in total

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Im picking up this processor Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

It says i need a CPU Cooler. Which do you recommend?

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

Personally, I'd go for a CryOrig H5 myself, but the H7 will work as well and is cheaper. The H5 will allow more cooling headroom for higher overclocks of the i5-6600k.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I actually already purchased the CM 212 EVO and all the other parts needed. After reading more about difference between PSU, the difference between, Bronze, Silver, Gold. I am a little worried that I got the Bronze version but is this okay since I will not be utilizing all the 750Watts?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo, Thermalright True spirit 140, Noctua dh-15 or a Raijintek Aidos. If you want a closed loop system NZXT and LEPA have a couple decent kits but sometimes AIR cools better depends on the heatsink, fan and how well the paste was applied. Custom liquid cooling or a fully submerged system is obviously the best option, but they cost over $200. The Hyper 212 is the best for the price.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Ill get the 212 evo. Do I need thermal paste? What do you recommend if I need it? What else like. Little things should I get or need?

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

Never hurts to get more case fans and a fan controller, there is so many that its hard to recommend any. I do know that the CM SickleFlow fans have decent CFM (your main concern with case fans) however, I dont think they are on sale for $5 any longer. There like 12 bux now, probably lots of options in that range, maybe better ones.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I also forgot to mention, I have a 4TB 3.5 7200RPM hard drive for storage and a 256gb 2.5inch SSD for the operating system and programs

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I am about to buy the same video card you recommend but gonna spend the few extra dollars for the 4gb version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487155

Is the 750W power supply gonna be sufficient for this card and the 6600k CPU ?

Do i need thermal paste or anything else? If so which do you recommend?

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

750w will be enough, all you need is a power supply that says it does twice as much wattage as what pcpartpicker says your build will need. Reason being is because PSU's run more efficiently at around 50-60% load depending on the unit, and the actual power output of the power supply may only be 70% of what it says it can do because of the heat generated (more heat=less efficiency) so it helps out your power bill if thats a concern at all, plus they will last abit longer if you dont have them under full load for the life of the PSU obviously (less stress on the rails) pcpartpicker will give you a wattage that is your MAX, so real world usage is MUCH lower usually HALF of what that actually says. Under FULL UNREALISTIC BENCHMARK LOADS you will be at the rating stated, but not at any other time really. The 80+,bronze,silver,gold ect dont really matter, just marketing really. Hyper 212 evo has paste pre applied. When the 212 evo arrives your gunna be like.. "holly cow this thing is HUGE" lol.. Thats what i did. Your case will fit it np tho

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for all the info. Ill show you all the parts i bought. They will arrive tomorrow on Wednesday by FedEx.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/AlmostReal/saved/#view=dqYscf

Cooler Master 932 HAF Full Tower

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

what PSU do you recommend? I want one that is more than i need so i can upgrade my gpu and cpu in the future without replacing the PSU but at the same time i dont want it to eat all the power when its running to conserve electricity.

[comment deleted]
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

WolfMonster told me to get

Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply for $59.99

[comment deleted]
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

so far this is what i bought

your order has processed. You will receive another e-mail with tracking information once your order has shipped. Orders are usually processed within 1-2 business days. If your order contains a configurable system, please allow an additional 5-7 days for building and testing. In the unlikely event that we anticipate a delay in your order, you will be notified via e-mail.

ORDER DETAILS Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter E-mail E-mail Google + Google + Pinterest Pinterest ASRock Z170 Pro4 LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard I just bought: ASRock Z170 Pro4 LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard www.newegg.com SHARE right Tell Others About Your Purchase Brandon, to help other shoppers make good choices, would you say a few words about why you picked these items? Thank you! Current Purchases: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15D-16GVR Purchased on Jan 30, 2016

Why did you choose this?

EVGA 110-B2-0750-VR 80 PLUS Bronze 750 W 5 yr Warranty Semi-Modular NVIDIA SLI Ready and Crossfire Support Continuous Power Supply

Purchased on Jan 30, 2016

Why did you choose this?

Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 95W BX80662I56600K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530

Purchased on Jan 30, 2016

Now i need to know what type of CPU cooler do i need for this CPU . I want something that will be quiet and efficient.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

i got so far

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15D-16GVR

ASRock Z170 Pro4 LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 110-B2-0750-VR 80 PLUS Bronze 750 W 5 yr Warranty Semi-Modular NVIDIA SLI Ready and Crossfire Support Continuous Power Supply

Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 95W BX80662I56600K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530

what cpu cooler should i get?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube