add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Replacing an Old Case - Need Suggestions

Kardall

47 months ago

So I'll try to give as much detail as I can so that maybe someone can help me. Right now I am combing through the < CAD$150 cases to see if there's anything that suits my needs, but I will go higher if I need to.

I currently have a computer that was given to me to fix, and when I got it working they told me to keep it. So here is the current system with hardware that is mandatory: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T ATX Motherboard Single GPU 1x SSD 2x 3.5" HDDs

Now, over the years, I have collected many hard drives, which actually still work. so what I do is use them for storing and cataloging stuff. The future vision is a RAID array network storage device, but ... not completely necessary right now. I have about 13 HDD's ranging from 80GB to 1TB kicking around the house right now.

I use an External 3.5" Drive Enclosure with the cover off, to slide whatever drive I am wanting at the time, into it and use. I have one 1TB drive that I have in there all the time, which contains my music library as I do Radio DJ'ing.

My current desk setup is such that I have the tower sideways and there are no side panels for it, and it sits on a shelf with about 1 1/2" of clearance above it for air flow. That Air-Flow is from the house fan that is sitting next to the desk that I turn on when the room gets hot HAH .. that's why I need a new case so I don't have to use it. No side-panels is a nightmare, and it has already managed to destroy a GPU fan because the hot air just doesn't go anywhere due to no negative air flow around the components.

First step is a Case. So I was looking at the NZXT Phantom 530 but it's a little Gawd. I am not 20 years old and I would like something that looks somewhat professional, not like an Alienware kiddy toy. I like Lian Li cases, but they seem to get rather big when you start adding bays into it for HDDs.

Anyone think of something with around 2-4 3.5" internal drive bays for potentially storing my HDDs so I don't have to swap all the time. It doesn't matter if it has a window or not, because it will likely be hidden on a shelf in the desk anyway. Not on the top of it.

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

So what is the max height?

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

If I take out the middle shelf, I have 25" of room to work with, and 21" wide.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Case Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case $104.99 @ NCIX
Case Fan Fractal Design GP14-BK 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan $18.98 @ NCIX
Case Fan Fractal Design GP14-BK 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan $18.98 @ NCIX
Other StarTech 5.25in Trayless Hot Swap Mobile Rack for 3.5in Hard Drive $21.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $164.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-01 19:23 EST-0500

Its a quiet case that should look go to you. It has two good SP fans to move air so you can plenty of hdd's in there if you wanted to and have them run cool and I put a hot swap bay in there for you to.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely will look at that setup :) ty :D

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I love the nanoxia deep silence 1 for $120 on amazon. They even have bigger cases but that one stores a bunch of drives and has good quality and is very quiet. Now window in it and comes with a fan controller.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, with your current setup you don't really need that expensive of a case. I'd invest my money towards better hardware inside. But that's just me. Hope that helps.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya I have been trying to stay away from the full towers for this reason. A mid-size tower will probably be plenty. Just got to find one I like...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube