add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need advice for a build!

chemx
  • 52 months ago

Hi all,

I need some advice on parts for a build I'll be using mainly for programming and data analysis. I would also like to be able to use Adobe Creative Suite and Blender (and possibly Maya, SolidWorks, AutoCAD) without any issues. Basic video editing capabilities would be a bonus. I'm not going to be using this PC for high end gaming, but might like to play some less graphically demanding indie-type games in the future.

In terms of hardware, SSD and high capacity HDD (at least 4TB) are essential. I was thinking of 32GB RAM but I'll add more if needed. I'd like to have two 24" HD monitors with one that can be turned to portrait orientation. I have a keyboard and mouse already.

I really want to future-proof this build as much as I can, so I would like to be able to use it for the next five or so years (for the activities described above) without worrying too much about upgrading if possible.

My budget is £2000 / $2800.

I'm new to this so any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Try this. A Xeon based system might make sense for you as well, but the 6 core 5820k is a good choice since you can easily overclock it to over 4ghz. Room to expand to 64GB or up to 96gb with the RAM I spec'd (16gb RAM sticks will go down in price in the next year or 2) http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dzKg23

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm new to high-end builds like this myself. But anyway, I tried. It's somewhat over budget, sorry.

• The i7-5820K is a fantastic CPU.
  • CPU cooler because you need one. Will handily deal with overclocking if you choose to go that route.
  • 16 GB of RAM because I would be going well above budget otherwise.
  • Opted for a bit of the lower end of storage.
  • The 980 Ti is a fantastic GPU and should last you a long time. It'll handle pretty much any graphically-bound task easily.
  • The EVGA 750W G2 series is great. Safe, fully modular, and has enough power to drive this machine.
  • The case is excellent and very well received.
  • The monitors are a little on the cheaper side but I think that'll be okay.
  • Operating system included.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor £329.98 @ Dabs
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler £99.98 @ Novatech
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard £227.30 @ More Computers
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory £77.99 @ Amazon UK
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £65.99 @ Amazon UK
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £169.78 @ Misco UK
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card £569.99 @ Amazon UK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case £85.54 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £90.11 @ Amazon UK
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full (32/64-bit) £151.96 @ More Computers
Monitor BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor £116.10 @ Amazon UK
Monitor BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor £116.10 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £2100.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-02 19:06 GMT+0000
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube