add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
NinjaPlusNinja
  • 52 months ago

Hello all, I am looking to convert from a long run in console gaming. I also dabble a bit in video editing for family events and such. I have a micro tower build that I purchased from a friend who actually used this site to build it a little while back but I think I prefer keeping that as my school computer and backup. I suppose to keep it all in budget I could transfer some components but in the end they would need to be replaced or put back. I don't know too much about computers but I am hoping this is a doorway to something new and cool.

My budget is about $1000 US. The system does not need to be maxed out by any means as I would like to keep it relevant and be upgrading it in future years.

The micro I mentioned contains an AMD Athlon X4 860K on a Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro, two 4GB sticks of Kingston HyperX, and a Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual X. All in a Cougar Solution Mid Tower. Uses a 650W Fractal Design Integra R2 PSU, Western Digital 1TB HDD, and an ASUS DRW-24B1ST Opt Drive.

Any lack or surplus of relevant information displays just how much I know about this. As such, I would be happy to fill any gaps of information.

I also own a few low end monitors, a good keyboard and mouse, a decent headset, and HOTAS system. I use Windows 10. I am also considering a new monitor and the price for that would not be included in the original budget.

Thanks y'all

EDIT: No need for Windows or any peripherals. Maybe a nice monitor though :)

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you!!

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Quick question regarding the two storage devices. I somewhat understand the advantage of using SSD, but what would the advantage be of keeping a HDD and the SSD? Is this configuration better than using only a SSD?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

You use the ssd for OS and your most used programs. Use the hdd for storage like photos, movies, etc. Those things see little benifit to being on an ssd making a larger much more expensive ssd less valuable for your use.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Depending on the amount/size of games you have you could get a larger ssd but for most moderate gamers 250 gb is enough. Windows uses about 15 gb total i believe so 235 gb would be left for games.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

agree with this. just a quick note. I'm using using an SSD and HDD combo too. SSD Will keep you fast boot and in doing stuff. And HDD as a backup or store static files.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah okay, thank you both. Like I mentioned above, I am still learning about all this so any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube