add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Beginner's overclocking machine / FX-6300 base

Beorn1
  • 52 months ago

Once I complete my new build, I will have a leftover HP Pavilion desktop with salvageable parts, including an AMD FX-6300. I'm thinking about learning to overclock, but am hesitant to do so with the new build and I understand the 6300 is excellent for those purposes.

I would like a cheap build ( < $200 if possible) for those purposes and would need everything except the CPU, RAM, monitor and peripherals. Thanks!

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Overclocking is incredibly easy nowadays. Unless you are planning on trying to hit some crazy *** clock speeds you would do well with just downloading a overclocking program such as AMD's software which I cant remember the name of as of this moment. Ill see what I can throw together though. If you have the case for the HP still You can just use that as a test bench persay, buying a brand new case will be a waste. Same goes for the motherboard if its still in the case and you arnt using it, check and see if you can oc on that.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice. That software might be an appropriate starting point. I've confirmed this to be the HP board: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03117539-2

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

So if all you're really doing is messing around with overclocking I would keep most of the parts you have. All I would do is grab a good psu, a cheep hdd thats reliable, and a good cooler. You can reuse the case, ram, cpu, etc.

Here is a list of parts including some fillers for what you have already.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor Purchased For $0.00
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $28.98 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Purchased For $0.00
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 80GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $15.45 @ Amazon
Video Card XFX Radeon HD 6870 2GB Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $104.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-03 11:42 EST-0500

The only other thing I would suggest is getting a new mobo, But only after you test around on the one you have already. Also if you do keep that mobo you can use it to do extreme testing, encase you decide you want to brick a mobo or something of the sort. Let me know if you have any questions, hope this helps.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

This is great, thanks!

Did you remember the name of the OC software?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

AMD Overdrive :)

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

fx 6300 gets HOT, high wattage cpu. Get an excellent aftermarket cooler. $200 is not enough.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the build. It was late and I forgot to mention that I also have an HD6870 already, which has been a great card for the game(s) I use it for.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube