add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Please help me choose parts for a home use + low-end gaming PC

FinalSmash
  • 52 months ago

My dad said if I built a PC he'd pay for half of it. It'll be the main home PC, upgrading from crappy 2004 business laptops. It'll be used for file storage, document editing, and school. I'd like to use it for light video editing with VSDC and Star Wars Battlefront, medium settings at 40 FPS 1080p will be fine.

I'd like to keep it around or below $750 if possible.

This will probably be built in the summer, but it's not going to be a high-end gaming build so the outdated parts thing isn't a huge issue for me.

I already have the case, which is the Cooler Master HAF 912. My dad got it for free from a co-worker. I'll be getting Windows from Amazon for $50. I'll be going with a Dell 21.5 1080p monitor for $100 from Amazon.

I live in the Midwest United States. I live about 20 minutes from a Microcenter. :)

We have a mechanical keyboard, and a wireless mouse we'll be using.

I'm not interested in overclocking at all really.

I'd like an SSD(probably 120GB for OS and program files) and 1TB of hard drive space.

Colors don't matter at all. Like I said, I already have the Cooler Master HAF 912.

No copy of Windows needed, as stated before.

So yeah, basically the only requirements are Battlefront at 1080p medium settings at 40 FPS, and I'd also like to do some Wii/GameCube/PS2 emulation with HD texture packs. I do not want an AMD processor, but as for the GPU, either goes. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 3 points

Wii/GameCube/PS2 emulation is fairly CPU bound, but not enough to justify an i7. I opted for a more CPU-heavy build with a somewhat weaker GPU. Radeon does better at Wii/GameCube emu than nVidia. You can also opt for a stronger GPU and still stay within budget (R9 380 or 390), but since your requirements aren't that high, I decided to go the cheaper route.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $215.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX/DL Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $89.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $38.99 @ Newegg
Storage Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $44.73 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card XFX Radeon R7 370 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card $149.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $669.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-03 13:06 EST-0500
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

This looks great. Thanks!

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

Not a problem. I would wait to see what other people propose, of course.

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

I should add that the motherboard I selected is very undersized for your case, so you may want to consider a larger H170-based board instead if expansion is a concern.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

microcenter has a bundle deal for a 6500 and a gigabyte z170 for $280 total. FYI.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

He doesn't need a Z170, he's not overclocking.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree he doesn't need one but with the bundle deal it makes most other motherboards more expensive. It would be rather foolish to use a less capable and more expensive mother board.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure what else I'd need though

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, then it should be okay! I suggest looking at other peoples' responses to my comments, as they point out you can get even better deals in MicroCenter. I'm not experienced with MicroCenters as I don't live near one.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

How do you have the part list like this? I made one and would like it displayed like this

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

In the parts list, near the top where it says Markup, there are a bunch of buttons. Select the one with the PCPP icon and you will get the Markdown code for your list.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks mate!

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome. :)

• 52 months ago
  • 3 points

Its BYOPC month a Microcenter! Yea :-)

If your close to the OP store, great bunch of guys there!

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

Here is my take at it. If this is not what you want let me know. I decided to go with the 950 to give you a cheap but reliable option.

[PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zndT8d) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zndT8d/by_merchant/)
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor $179.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $79.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $49.99 @ Newegg
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $38.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card $135.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $40.98 @ Newegg
Total (before mail-in rebates) $555.93
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $525.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-03 13:49 EST-0500
  • 52 months ago
  • 2 points

This also looks very good

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

This is a cheaper build option and I'm by no means saying that this build wouldn't handle his needs. However, the I3 6100 would be a better option since it allows for upgrade in the future, uses ddr4 ram that is actually better priced right now, and the cx power supply is just an overall bad psu. The only saving grace is that it is semi modular. There are equally priced but more reliable power supplies available. Just my 2 cents.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

You are definitly right, I didn't consider the upgradability of the ram for the long term. I don't quite understand what the bad vibes of the CX series PSUs are for. I have a CX500 and it has been working real good for a while now.

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

They're not bad per se, just not the best for their price point. The components are of somewhat lower quality, so they tend to die sooner. Actually bad PSUs would be the ones from Logisys and Diablotek, which not only die sooner, but can actually take down the rest of your computer with them.

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

Of the CX series the 430 has the best ratings by multiple psu reviewers. That being said in almost every review the reviewers equate the shortcomings of the psu directly to its cost (eg. "Voltage regulation could have been better, but this is a group design. Of course it could have been better. What do you expect, AX series quality?") If it still had the $20 mail in rebate I would say go for it. I did on my HTPC build but without it there are just flat out better quality psu's available.

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

I build my PC with the below parts and easy to assemble and pretty fast 1. Motherboard: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012N6LM1Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 This above mother board is a MicroATX board and your case will support it. This H170 intel chipset board has HDMI with 7.1 Ch Audio and 4K video support along with 2 more display ports for computer monitor. Totally 3 monitors support. Doesn't have WIFi and Bluetooth and will not support over clocking. If you really need WIFI and BT then consider http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-LGA1151-Mini-ITX-Motherboard-GA-H170N-WIFI/dp/B015CQ8D9Q/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454527768&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=giga+byte+H170+wifi+mother+board

1. Power Supply : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LV8TZAG?colid=32XG62BNIOY9V&coliid=I2HPOZZ4BSIAUS&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl If your case doesn't have power supply you can consider the above power supply, else you can go for any ATX power supply, make sure that power supply has 8 pin (2X4) pin CPU power connector and 24 pin mother board power connector.

2. CPU: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0136JON7M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 The above CPU s 6th gen Intel processor, Supports gaming and 4K video.

3. DDR4 RAM: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMLUYQK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s04 As thus board supports only DDR4 on 4 slots, better to go with DDR4 which will give faster processing of the application tasks. I bought 8+8 2 DDR4 RAM as above and kept in 2 slots for now, later I can upgrade to another 8+8 DDR4 RAM later when price drops. Mother board manual says there 4 DIMM slots supports up to 64 GB, But the processor manual says it supports 32 GB max. So I decided to stick with 32 GB max.

SSD M.2: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NY4VIPA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s04 The above SSD is very tiny and go with mother board itself with m.2 connector. For better booting and rebooting and faster application response M.2 SSDs are very good and latest.

I am not installed any hard drive for storage, But planning in future for 4TB. For this mother board I think the better is http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OP2PKHW/?tag=pcpapi-20 If you are considering only 1TB then go with http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013DU7R4/?tag=pcpapi-20

All will cost you around $500

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points
  • Lucky You living so close to a Micro Center... The closest one for me is several hours away.
  • ALL prices and availability are subject to change. ESPECIALLY being a few months out from buy time.

Now... you said you had the following (or was not including it in the budget?):

• OS
  • Case
  • Keyboard & Mouse
  • Monitor

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $204.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $97.98 @ Newegg
Memory Patriot Viper 4 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $47.99 @ Amazon
Storage PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 380X 4GB PCS+ Myst. Edition Video Card $233.98 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $64.99 @ SuperBiiz
Total $744.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-03 21:56 EST-0500
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

You could spend half that and achieve the results you desire.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Could you expand upon that please?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube