add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help completing my under 1000 dollar gaming build with parts I have already purchased.

BB411114

44 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $329.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Deepcool CAPTAIN 360 273.4 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing Liquid CPU Cooler Purchased For $0.00
Motherboard Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $139.99 @ NCIX US
Memory PNY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $101.30 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $108.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card $159.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $119.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $109.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $40.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) $124.78 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1256.00
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $1236.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-03 13:00 EST-0500

So I am going to be putting together a gaming/everyday PC. Something that I can do homework on, and surf the web then load up Fallout 4 on, and have some fun. I have no desire to overclock, but I might in the future if I ever learn more about it. Still though not something that I am putting much stock into.

I really do not need Ultra but I would at least like my graphics on par with the ps4, or Xbox one. I think running most things on high is a achievable goal. If my build can run them on Ultra that is fantastic but not necessary. I really would like something that can pull 60 FPS while I am on High.

I really do not have a budgeted ball park here. I have a few parts already purchased. My EVGA Geforce GTX 950 SSC ACX 2.0, and my PNY 2x4 8 GB ram. Which has put me at like 200 or something. I would like to stay under one thousand. All the parts will be purchased in the United States.

So I did a build on PC part picker please help me decide what i can change around to make this build the best it can be. I already have the video card, and ram purchased so I am building this around those two parts. Please help me make this build the best it can be. I would really like to have the: motherboard, case, power supply, HDD, and maybe the CPU cooler be something that I can carry over to my next build.

Comments

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you return the RAM? That seems extremely expensive, ie you could have bought a very nice 16gb kit for $20 less than what you paid for 8gb.
Like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31866c9d16gxm

Your power supply is overkill; you could go with a 500-550w without any problem: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220gs0550v1

Nix the 3TB for this setup: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-internal-hard-drive-sv300s37a240g and http://pcpartpicker.com/part/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd10ezex

Not as much space- but at this point in time, having an SSD as your boot drive and for programs is a no-brainer. You can always add another HDD later on if you really need huge amounts of disk space! You can opt for the 120GB SSD to keep the price roughly the same as your 3TB single drive, but I don't recommend SSDs any smaller than 250GB at this point.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

No sadly I can return the RAM, or the Video Card as they were both a gift. I had a build that was going to do with a friends help, but my parents sprung these parts on me for Xmas so I am trying to put them into a up-gradable build. From there I want to swap out the Video Card for something better, and add more ram, and other minor tweaks. What i am trying to do with this build is put together the best MOBO, CPU, CPU cooler, and case combo that I can for like 800-1000 dollars.

I have no idea why the RAM is so expensive in the parts list. I think they might have spent like twenty dollars on it.

I like the point on the power supply, the reason I went with such overkill is the upgrades I would want to do in the future, but I think you are right in that it would still be over kill as I would basically be keeping most of the same parts anyway.

I debated for a while on the SSD route. I expect that Storage is something that will be decided at the time of purchase based on sale items. I will probably invest in a SSD though since they are so much better for boot drives.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

For an extra $40, definitely add the SSD as the boot drive. It has the biggest day-to-day impact on how "fast" the system feels. Every single time you boot up the computer, you will thank me! :)

If you really plan to upgrade the GPU eventually, then stick with the power supply you have now.

• 44 months ago
  • 2 points

I'll probably go with the SSD I put the HDD #TB on there simply because I have filled up my !TB HDD in my current PC and it is driving me crazy having to constantly delete things. Probably going to keep the 3 TB and also have the SSD as the boot drive.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah that's a good call if you really need the space.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

For your use the 4790k is way overkill. If you are building new I would go with Skylake. It leaves room for upgrade in the future and from what you've listed for use the i5 6500 would be perfect. Unfortunately that makes your ram useless since most 1151 boards use ddr4 ram rather than your ddr3 and the ones that are using ddr3 aren't taking advantage of all that the newest processors have to offer. The gtx 950 can handle high settings @ 1080p but not ultra. It would be best to try and sell both your ram and the video card and go with this build if you want to game at 1080p ultra. You also have the captain 360 listed as purchased but did not mention it in your thread so I left it out. It will work on this processor however the processor is locked and doesn't require more than stock cooling to perform well. I have a captain 360 on a 4790k and it performs well enough but there are better options in the same price range. Anyway good luck and here you go. http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2177-fallout-4-pc-video-card-fps-benchmark-all-resolutions PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H170M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $84.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $44.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $84.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $46.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card $297.99 @ NCIX US
Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $61.50 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $46.90 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $87.95 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1061.07
Mail-in rebates -$65.00
Total $996.07
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-03 13:40 EST-0500
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for this, I probably wont sell the Video card as I am fine with high settings for a while, and it really wont take me long to get a better card. The ram is not that big a deal, I can always stick it in my current pc to give it a boost. Thanks for this I will look it over in detail.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube