add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO

Flunkos

44 months ago

I have had the VIII picked out for a while now, but after seeing so many negative reviews. I am now considering if it is worth it to instead go with the MSI z170a Gaming M7. Would I be better off going with the Asus and RMA if needed? Or is Asus hard to deal with in that regards? Which company has the better service and would have a quicker process? I know that I am just throwing out a bunch of questions, but I really just throwing out what is in my mind and hoping maybe someone can shed some light that may help me make a decision one way or the other.

Thanks!

Comments

• 44 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm not an Asus fanboy, but I just don't buy the negative reputation this board is getting.
It's probably result of lots of inexperienced folks screwing up the mobo during installation/ setup since it's proven to be so popular. Asus makes some of the best motherboards you can get, take it from a guy that just used MSI for the first time and had no issues. :)

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! That is comforting! Out of curiosity, have you ever had to deal with an RMA process for Asus? I would rather not wait a month for a new motherboard in the off chance that I get a DOA or need to RMA for any reason.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I have never received a DOA Asus product, so nope! :)

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I have and, sadly I can't vouch for Asus. I contacted them over 8 times in a period of 5 months to send me a replacement armor kit. The first time the sent the wrong one the next few times they said they would ship it, but I never got anything. I really don't like Asus.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

This is disheartening....I'm right back where I was in my dilema ;/

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you look at the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 7? https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170xgaming7

I have it in my build and absolutely loving it.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I have...unfortunately the only reason I am not considering it is my because of my color scheme :P

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

What's your build looking like?

I was doing a red/black scheme but when I saw the features on this I had to have it. It turned out amazingly well. I'll hopefully have my finalized build up tonight. With photos :) http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9CNr4D

I was really down to the Hero VIII and the G1 Gaming 7 at the end. due to the fact the MSI M7 just didn't have a premium onboard audio I wanted. The AC1150 can be found on boards under $150 didn't want that at all. Especially since I was going to populate all 20 PCI-E lanes and didn't want to have an add in card.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I have this board. Very few complaints about it.

Asus has reportedly bad customer service. There is enough material on the internet to know it's sub-par. However, in my dealings with them on other issues, they have been pretty responsive.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Not that it matters, but did you but from newegg?

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I got it from Amazon.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

If you do not need a USB 2 header on the MB this may be an option if you value customer service.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-motherboard-140sse177kr

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube