add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GTA V PC - A bad port?

RevivoRoy

48 months ago

So I recently had a nice system upgrade. Went from an R9 280x to a GTX 970 (G1 Gaming edition, I could EASILY overclock THE **** out of this card)

From 8 gigs of RAM to 16

And a brand new 1TB hard drive for storing my video works.

Now, playing GTA V with the GTX 970 was awesome. in Sandy Shores, I never got below 65fps at 1080p with Ultra settings. But in the busy Los Santos roads, I sometimes got dropped to 50fps! I got the 970, which is aimed at 1440p, to ensure never-below-60 performance at 1080p. I will be testing some other games and I really want to believe that the game is just a bad port on Rockstars side, because where I live, the 970 is 450$

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

According to this, the 970 can get 60+ FPS in GTA even at 4K, so the problem may lie somewhere else in your system. What are the rest of your specs?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Well gta v was truly a good port, but besides the anti-modding line of code R* put in its also the gtx 970 having trouble. If your playing at 1440p/ 4K with the graphics options maxed out your most likely using more thatn 3.5gb of vram, the gpu starts to struggle to work and get simple tasks done. Here is why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPlCIUh_Tp0

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I know about the slower 0.5GB VRAM thing, but I play at 1080p

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't waste money going from an i5 to an i7. You'll see no real game performance increase. Big waste of money.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha buddy, I don't do just gaming. My work is video editing. Also I occasionally stream, so..

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

On that case an i7 make make some bit of a difference in those taski but do not expectin more gaming performance.

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

CPU intensive, huh? So Maybe it'll get better once I get the i7 4790? Currently with an i5 4460

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Why? what's wrong with the i7 4790?

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

If the GPU fails though at least there's a back up for basic tasks.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube