add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Desktop build for mom - $400 or less

Mydragonsfly
  • 52 months ago

Hey folks,

So folks in October I switched from consoles to computers and after building this little... no, big desktop. In doing so I sort of caught the builders bug...

I ditched the desktop we were using and decided to take a look inside just for laughs. Mini atx, graphics chipset, stock CPU cooler, all of that in a typical HP style midtower. It's a bit of a space hog on our now limited counter space and with having built in a full tower in mind, I'd love to build in something smaller.

Here's the parts list that I happen to be looking at.

Now if your wondering, I'm building this around the Dune Case (specs) which is launching on Kickstarter. If it doesn't get funded, too bad I'll just find another case, but if it does then that's what it's all going into... Either way this will be a very low end build that I'd like to keep below 400 while the case itself will cost 130. Yes I've looked at other cases worth 30, 40, 50 dollars, but if the KS goes through I'd be happily, happily set on it.

Open to tweaks to my list or whatever you can think of to get the most powerful bang for the buck. Keep in mind this will be for regular desktop use; browsing, youtube, facebook, music, all that and nothing intensive.

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I think this will be sufficient for you mom

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $119.99 @ Micro Center
Motherboard ASRock FM2A68M-DG3+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $44.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $29.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.89 @ OutletPC
Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $32.99 @ NCIX US
Wireless Network Adapter TRENDnet TEW-648UB 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter $8.99 @ SuperBiiz
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac Wireless Slim Keyboard Purchased For $35.50
Mouse Logitech M310 Wireless Laser Mouse Purchased For $16.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $398.73
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $378.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-04 07:02 EST-0500
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I propose the following machine:

• You want small, so I went with Mini ITX.
  • The i3-6100 is inexpensive and eminently capable for a machine like this. It outperforms pretty much any Haswell i3 and AMD APU competitor while costing about the same. It also has far better integrated graphics than the Haswells, which is important because...
  • A dedicated graphics card is definitely not needed for a basic machine like this. The integrated graphics will hold their own just fine.
  • Yep, 4 GB of RAM is enough for a budget build. You only really need 8 GB for gaming and/or if you're horrible at managing your running applications.
  • I opted for an SSD on which to store the OS and applications, and a small hard drive for file storage. The Sandisk SSD PLUS comes from a reputable brand and is faster than the Kingston V300 at the same price point. Some people don't think that SSDs are worth it for budget builds, but I firmly believe they're wrong. The performance gains will more than make up for the reduced storage, I promise you that.
  • I'd personally go with Xubuntu 14.04 as the operating system for a basic budget build like this, since it costs no money and no games are being run. Of course, that's entirely up to you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor $124.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX/DL Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $89.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $19.89 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $44.72 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital AV-GP 320GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $24.00 @ Amazon
Case Silverstone SG05BB-LITE Mini ITX Desktop Case $38.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply SeaSonic 350W 80+ Certified SFX Power Supply $42.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $385.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-04 09:57 EST-0500
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks guys, keep em coming.

[comment deleted]
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

No power supply? Or are you thinking that the old one could be reused?

[comment deleted]
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

OP wanted something smaller than the HP midtower, so I don't think they want to reuse the case.

[comment deleted]
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, that thing. It takes SFX power supplies.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube