add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is this too much power for this build?

malcar11
  • 78 months ago

Good morning. Malcar11 (again) I have this spare PSU, wich came OEM with a Thermaltake Versa 2 Tower Case (and I gonna change for a corsair or seasonic if possible). Is a TR2 600W. According to the manufacturer, it has an efficiency of 65 - 70%. I'm going to build a cheap PC with these parts: CORE I3 3220 (Ivy Bridge) + 4 GB RAM 1333 Mhz + HDD 1 TB 7200 rpm Western Blue + DVD/DVDRW. The total wattage, according to PCPARTPICKER CALCULATOR is about 140 - 150 W. If I install this PSU, could it toast the mentioned parts? is it's power too much or is OK? thank you in advance.

Comments

• 78 months ago
  • 2 points

Just because the power of the PSU is rated for 600 watts doesn't mean it's going to toast the parts you put in it. Basically what that means is that the PSU is rated up to support that much wattage draw from the parts.

Seeing as the part's total wattage draw is 140-150 the 600 watt PSU has more than enough to take on that system.

Make sense?

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep. I asked that because somewhere I read that too much power could damage the other parts. Thank you!

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are not going to add a dedicated graphics card, then this PSU is more than enough.

But that TR2 PSU is listed under "not recommended", Replace ASAP if you have one, http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx. No wonder it was bundled as free.

So if you are not going to add a dedicated graphics card, I would suggest, Corsair CX430M, http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx430m.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube