add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can you guys top a 32gb RAM / 32 core 1.88 cpu build for under $1100?

paladiex
  • 52 months ago

Has to come with a motherboard/cpus/RAM/chassey/psu(s). Also I would prefer a PCIe x16 slot and another for a sound card. This is probably going to require a bit more than pcpartpicker can offer. It's basically a server pc build.

Budget: $110

Use (Gaming, Rendering, etc): Gaming/Botting/Virtual machines

Peripherals required (monitor, keyboard/mouse, etc): None

Operating System required: None

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Question: Why do you even need 32 cores and 32 GB of RAM? Unless you're doing some kind of crazy video rendering/running a bunch of virtual machines/processing very large quantities of data/etc, you definitely don't need that. I also don't think that the request you're making is feasible. The cheapest 16 core CPU I can see on this site already costs more than $800.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I want to run 15 VM's.

You linked just 1 cpu, I was thinking 4x 8 core cpu's. I already have a build that will cost me roughly $1150 before HDD's.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, I see. Unfortunately, you're still not going to get four 8 core CPUs and keep it within that budget.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Fortunately there are a lot of 8 core server CPU's floating around between $50-150 and some used ones being sub $50. Even more fortunately if I can't purchase any of the 8 core CPU's for less than $50 there are quite a lot of 4 and 6 core CPU's available for under $40!

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I was not aware there was a way to put four CPU's in one computer...

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes there is. I've stumbled upon them on eBay while looking for scrap build parts.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I just looked it up, and they actually look pretty cool (minus the green PCB)...

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree. I don't mind the green PCB personally, so to me they just look cool.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

The cheapest dual processor motherboard costs $300. A single 8 core CPU that fits on that motherboard costs $500, two of them would cost $1000. This doesn't even include anything else but is already over budget.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

You aren't looking hard enough my friend ;)

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, anyway. Here's the kind of machine you're probably thinking of. Not at the price you want it for, though, and this is before I add a GPU and storage. I also cheaped out on cooling.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E5-2698 V3 2.3GHz 16-Core OEM/Tray Processor $3116.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Intel Xeon E5-2698 V3 2.3GHz 16-Core OEM/Tray Processor $3116.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.44 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.44 @ Amazon
Motherboard Supermicro MBD-X10DAL-I-O ATX Dual-CPU LGA2011-3 Motherboard $301.98 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial 32GB (4 x 8GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory $246.50 @ B&H
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $119.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $7061.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-04 21:51 EST-0500

More realistically for that budget...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E5-1620 V3 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $288.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $189.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card $303.98 @ Newegg
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $54.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1077.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-04 22:01 EST-0500
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's what I've found so far

Supermicro X8QB6-F Motherboard Server Board REV 2.0 FW Quad Xeon (4x )E7 CPU SAS -$625

Intel Xeon L7555 1.86GHz 8 Core 24M Cache 5.86GT/s LGA1567 CPU Processor SLBRF -$35 each ($140)

32GB (4X8GB) DDR3 PC3-10600 ECC REG 240-PIN 1333MHZ (Server Memory) -$80 for the set

Supermicro CSE-836 CSE-836E1-R800B 16-Bay 3U Server Chassis w/ PWS-801-1R -$315 after shipping

Total is $1160 just using ebay and amazon with 1 year warranties

Why would I need such an expensive motherboard/ram that you linked in your "realistic" build the RAM is also quite expensive for what it is? I guess I should of specified in OP that I have a gpu that will suffice, was considering adding a second one of it but it isn't needed at the moment.

The price to beat is $1160 and I came up with the build doing minimal shopping around so my hope is that someone around here can beat it :P

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, you should have specified you were okay with used parts. :3

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

With such a low budget I figured people would assume used was fine xD This is going to be built from old servers.

I do however want warranties.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

No, I must admit that I'd assumed you were asking for something completely unreasonable. That'll show me and I apologize for that.

I'll see what I can turn up. :)

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Good luck!

I was quite surprised when a friend told me he games on a server he got for cheap from his work. I decided to look into pricing something extreme and it came in lower than the first build I made for sure!

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

How about this one? AMD build using dual Opteron 6276s (16 cores each). Lacks hyper-threading, and not sure about warranties, but it's only $755 after factoring in shipping, so it does undercut your quad Xeon L7555 idea, and it should draw less power on top of that. Admittedly, it might also be slower; I couldn't find many benchmarks on these CPUs, but the limited data I found suggests that this could be the case. Depending on what your GPU is, the 500W PSU might also not be enough.

This should go without saying, but third-party thermal paste will probably be needed.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

This is good, thanks very much :)

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait, the PSU is a piece of junk. D: Sorry about that. I'll keep looking.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait, the PSU is a piece of junk. D: Sorry about that. I'll keep looking.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube