add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

400-600 USD Gaming Rig

SparklyDeath
  • 52 months ago

I've used crappy computers all my life. I finally decided I wanted to get a better one. Problem is, I know nothing about parts/specs (Mac casual). So. I need some help making a PC build that fits the following: note: I'm located in the us Preferably between 400-600$, but if I have to I can stretch up to 1000$. 2tb hard drive. 8-16 gb of RAM. Windows 10 64 bit. Processor speeds have no meaning to me, but I'm somewhat sure that I want a quad core. Graphics card-???? Finally, I'd like to be able to run most new-ish games (ex. Fallout 4, GTA V, SW Battlefront) at decent quality settings (preferably nicer or at least comparable to ps4 settings). If any of this is unreasonable for the price range, please tell me and I'll see what I can do to revise. Any help is much appreciated!

EDIT: also, in terms of cases, red, black, or silver are great colors, and windowed sounds sweet.

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Here ya go. The i3-6100 might not be a quad core, but it does have hyper-threading, which is the next best thing, and you can upgrade it to a quad core i5 or i7 down the road if you choose to. This machine should be enough to run most if not all games on decent settings, and overall, it should be on par with or better than the PS4 peformance-wise. I also went with a nice energy efficient SeaSonic PSU that should last you a long time, though you will probably want one with higher wattage if you choose to upgrade. Operating system included.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor $124.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $58.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $38.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $65.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked Video Card $139.99 @ Amazon
Case Rosewill REDBONE ATX Mid Tower Case $32.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic 360W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $57.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $88.00 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $607.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-05 12:08 EST-0500
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

That look pretty damn nice. 2 questions though: Will the case not having a USB 3.0 port be a problem? And does it need any sort of cooling fan?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point
  • It will not. The motherboard also has a USB 2.0 header, which will cover the case's USB 2.0 ports, but even if that weren't the case, there's a version of the case with USB 3.0 support. Adapters to convert internal USB 3.0 headers into USB 2.0 headers also exist (and vice-versa), though they will cause the whole shebang to operate at USB 2.0 speeds.
  • The CPU comes with its own stock cooler, which is adequate as long as you don't overclock. Also, this particular case includes fans.
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Sweet. Thanks so much for the help.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Not a problem. I would wait to see what other people think as well; they might come up with better ideas than I did.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're looking to upgrade later, this PSU is also of good quality. It's in the same price point range, but has more wattage, so if you upgrade, you won't have to worry about replacing it as soon. It is a bit less energy-efficient though, if you care about that.

The XFX TR 550W is also a good bet.

Higher starting wattage suggested by personwhoknowshowtobuildstuff.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Why tiny watt psu, limits his upgrade path

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I did mention the issue of wattage in the notes, but you have a point.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh sorry i kinda skimmed it,

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, you're probably right, to be honest. I should probably suggest a 450-500W at minimum instead.

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah maybe switch it out with th XFX TR 550w

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Last few questions. First, does this build have an optical drive? And would this case http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-spec01redled work? If so, do I need to get an optical drive for it? And finally, if I get a more powerful cpu or more ram, would it make sense to get a fan?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point
  • It does not have an optical drive. Optical drives are almost always separate. If you don't need to use it often, I suggest getting a USB optical drive instead.
  • That case would work.
  • It does make sense to get more fans, but the case includes them already, and usually, you only need two case fans at most.
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

What's the advantage of a usb optical drive? Also, does this build look like it could work? http://pcpartpicker.com/user/SparklyDeath/saved/6q9kcf I probably wouldn't get exacty that, but I took your build and went through and got the best relatively affordable options I could find.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Going with a USB optical drive will free up a SATA port on your motherboard, which will either allow you to add more storage, or just leave it empty and ease cable management slightly while improving power efficiency by a marginal amount.
  • That build looks fine. The difference between the i5-6500 and 6400 isn't that significant, though. You also don't really need a third-party cooler unless you're overclocking, and that motherboard will not let you overclock.
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

If I hypothetically wanted to overclock, is there a comparable motherboard that allows it?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube