add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$2000+ Gaming + Music Producing Setup

keony

40 months ago

Hello, I'm looking for a part list for a really nice, clean looking setup. I would like a decent PC that can run most games at 1080P/60FPS, I'd like some nice peripherals, mechanical keyboard + mouse, a nice headset, midi keyboard, speakers, and some monitors. I have $2500 for everything, thanks

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

i like this, thanks

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

just taking a stab at it- it's a solid setup but I'm not familiar with midi keyboards so I didn't include one

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

alright, thanks anyway

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

It's nice but you'll want the 6700k for what you are doing. Also get a better quality PSU such as the EVGA 850 G2

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

It all depends on how many VST's and FX hes running. An overclocked 5820k is the best of both worlds. Fast single core performance while allowing the DAW software spread the load across all cores. Realtime audio playback can bring a good gaming PC to its knees. It all depends on the style of music being played and how many VST plugins being used.

Building an audio workstation not like building a gaming computer. Once its configured as an audio workstation, it will play any game fine.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I' don't know much about the music part, but I assume $600 should be enough for a nice headset, a midi keyboard, and some nice speakers?

CPU: 4790k. X99 platform is optimal, but I don't think $1900 is enough for a 5820k rig. 6700k only offers a marginal, if not minimal performance increase from 4790k, and it is hugely overpriced.

MOBO: Asrock z97 extreme 6. Asrock offers the most features in the price range, and has 12-phase power delivery. If you want USB 3.1, you can get the USB 3.1 version.

Graphics: Sapphire R9 390. 1080p at 60FPS is not demanding at all. R9 390 offers similar performance to GTX970 but 8GB VRAM has more future-proof, not to mention a R9 390 costs slightly less.

PSU: AX760i Monitor: Asus pb258q These parts are overkills. However, PSU and monitors preserve their values decently. Investments on them will pay off.

RAM: G.Skill F3-1866C9D-16GXM. Decent RAMs that matches MOBO's blue accent. If you need more, just get another pair.

Storage: Sandisk ultra II 480GB + HDD as much as you need.

Case: I suggest Corsair 400C. It's a newly launched beautiful case with a huge side window that can be easily opened. But it's up to your preference.

Keyboard: km780 or k70rgb or strafe rgb. Pick one that matches you sense of beauty.

Let me know your thoughts, and I can make some adjustments :)

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you new to music production? What type of music will you be playing? You'll need a USB or PCIe firewire card to achieve low latencies so you need to plan on adding that. Should be easy with your budget once I know how you'll be playing.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

This is my take on it. A red and black themed build. I went with a Xeon processor. It offers similar performance to an i7 but it's cheaper. The only difference is that it does not support onboard graphics (but you don't need it since you have a dedicated GPU). 16GB of RAM, an M.2 SSD and 2TB of storage. The graphics card is the GTX 980 which should be more than enough to play pretty much any game at ULTRA settings 1080p/60FPS.

I included the operating system and all needed peripheral : a 5.1 speaker system, professional headphone, a professional microphone with pop filter for recording voice/instruments, a USB MIDI keyboard and matching mechanical keyboard and mouse (you can change the led colour for whatever you want so it can match the Black/Red theme of the build).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $244.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.50 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $144.88 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $99.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $152.99 @ Micro Center
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $65.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card $499.99 @ Micro Center
Case Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $88.00 @ Amazon
Monitor Asus VS228H-P 21.5" Monitor $106.99 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor Asus VS228H-P 21.5" Monitor $106.99 @ SuperBiiz
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Wired Gaming Keyboard $156.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma Wired Optical Mouse $59.99 @ Amazon
Headphones Audio-Technica M50x Headphones $155.00 @ Amazon
Speakers Logitech Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers $62.99 @ Best Buy
Other Nady SPF-1 Microphone Pop Filter $22.99
Other Audio-Technica AT2020USB (USB Microphone) $144.00
Other Korg microKEY USB Keyboard $92.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2430.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-07 20:51 EST-0500
  • 40 months ago
  • 2 points

The Cryorig H7 is a very good CPU cooler for the price and offer one of the best performance per $ on the market. You can read a very in depth review of it here : http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/09/22/cryorig_h7_cpu_air_cooler_review/1

The razer black widow is a well rated mechanical keyboard. It is widely used by professional gamer and so is the Death Adder Chroma. While there are other great alternative I wouldn't call those 2 razer peripheral garbage. Also the fact that you can change LED color to match any color theme you have is a plus. Here's a review of it : http://www.tomsguide.com/us/razer-blackwidow-chroma,review-2552.html

The Z97 board from MSI offer great features and also easy to toggle XMP profile (which will be usefull for setting his RAM at the factory frequency of 2400Mhz). The guy wanted a nice and clean looking build so I picked part that were not only realiable, but also good looking and consistent with the theme I had going. It's not that expensive either...

The GTX 980 is more powerfull than both the R9 390 and R9 390x (I will agree it cost more money also) but it uses a lot less power and overclocks way better. The guy has the budget for it so I went with the more powerfull GPU. You can see a video comparison of the more powerfull R9 390x vs the GTX 980 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0YOdL4A0lg

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have any link/review to back up your claim? I don't wanna be a douche but from looking at your other comments you seem like the kind of guy who just nitpick for the hell of it without anything to back it up... I've provided you reviews from reputable website to back up my part choice and explained the reasons behind my pick. All you are giving me so far are your own opinion and words like "garbage" "****". You don't need to use such language here. You know kids also browse the internet right?

*** BTW I'm not the one who downvoted you...

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Over budget but if you plan to produce music, its a must have. Added two HDD's. One for reading samples. One for storage. The SSD for OS and DAW software.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jCMBwP

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube