add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Three Way Fury Nano Wattage?

RoxasForTheWin
  • 50 months ago

I was just screwing around with the idea of using three fury Nanos with an i7-4790k (as the compatibility allowed the Nanos to be added)

How big of a power supply would be needed for this bucket of cash that would be spent on the Nanos? Given one gets a better case for airflow

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

1000w is sufficient.

The question though is why a 4790k with a 3 way cross fire rig? A 5820k would be better for more PCIe lanes.

Why the nanos? They throttle like crazy.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I assumed it'd be some 4 digit number, thanks.

This is mostly theoretical, and I currently already have the 4790k and Sabertooth Mk.2. A 5820k would be better for sure, although do GPUs even use all of the lanes the 5820k would give?

The nanos are cheaper, and even if I did this I was going to try and jury rig them onto kraken g10's. If not the Krakens, I might've jury rigged fans directly onto the fans in an attempt to bring temps and noise down. This was actually one of the questions I had in my mind as to how to cool all of the cards pretty easily (as If the cost for the cards and cooling were higher than say a fury x, then there would be no point)

TLDR: I likely will not pursue this, but the idea for it intrigues me very deeply. If I was able to make the cards really cool and low noise for cheaper than the fury x then it is something I could play around with in the future.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

In 3 way cross fire it will be helpful.

In order for the Nano's to not throttle is for them to be water cooled.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

If my napkin math is right, the cards will be 8x, 4x, 4x for the cards as you go down the line of the mobo. I'm going to look up how much gpus can use pcie wise.

So it might be smarter to just go for two cards (maybe fury x?), less watts but less performance

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

But what are you going to need 3 cards for?

2 Fury's will at 4k will almost always have a framerate of 60+.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Along with the cards, I was scheming to get a 144hz free sync monitor. Constantly above 80fps sounds amazing

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

The Nanos both thermal throttle and power throttle so you'd really have to do an open loop system (which on the plus side, a Nano with a water block is cheaper than a Fury X, though the Fury X won't need the loop...) and OC them to really benefit.

IMO two Fury Xs or 980 Tis would be easier, cheaper, and not be much of a performance hit, if at all. Your tri nano setup won't use the PCIe lanes the most effectively and the X or the Ti will be better cards out of the box, especially if you get good bins on the Ti.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

All very good points, I was leaning to the dual option at this point aswell. This question really popped into my head after remembering my mobo has 3 pcie slots after I plastidipped my 970's.

I suppose I'll begin looking into 980 tis or fury x's. Begin with one, then maybe pick another one up in the next year before they gain their "legacy pricing" (people sell their cards for higher prices down the line for the people looking to sli)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube