add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is it possible to get this build below $100?

Z_Paragon
  • 52 months ago

I am trying to build a PC for below $100, but I went over the mark with the essentials. I already have CPU paste so that's excluded from the build.

The purpose of the computer: Just to browse the web.

This is the cheapest build I could make: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v8BwNG

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes, you can do so. You will likely have to go with used parts, and be very aggressive with cutting corners while still not cheaping out too much (as in no explosively bad components. I'm looking at your power supply bombs, Logisys and Diablotek). I based this parts list on a machine I built recently. I'm only semi-serious about the cardboard box; you can probably do better if you look a bit harder, but cases in this price range are likely to have horrible cable management, and the power supplies in this price range are likely to have horrible messes of cables (non-modular). The cardboard box might actually be better since you can just leave the power supply (and cables) on the outside of the box.

You could also try something like an ODROID or a Raspberry Pi. Those are quite dirt-cheap and are definitely able to do browsing (you probably won't get any official version of Flash, though). Or find a used laptop on eBay.

EDIT: I opted for Linux as an OS since you're literally just browsing the web. No need to shell out money for Windows when you have a free OS that can do exactly what you need it to. Install Google Chrome and you're off to the races.

Also added a super dirt-cheap fan since the specific motherboard I listed will throw an error if there's no case fan attached. Only an extra $3.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon II X2 220 2.8GHz Dual-Core OEM/Tray Processor $10.00
Power Supply EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $29.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Kingwin CF-08LB 30.0 CFM 80mm Fan $2.49 @ Micro Center
Other Asus M2N68-LA $10.00
Other Power button $6.58
Other Samsung 1GB DDR3-1066 (M378B2873FH0-CH9) $4.42
Other Samsung 1GB DDR3-1066 (M378B2873FH0-CH9) $4.43
Other Included with CPU
Other Linux
Other Cardboard box
Other Seagate Barracuda ST31600212SCE 160GB 7200RPM $13.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $81.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-07 20:21 EST-0500
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

You can also download a windows 10 ISO and use windows for free basically until you get a license

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, he's just browsing the web. Why bother with Windows? Linux is 100% fine for that and not a single cent will have to be paid.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

True

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

I tried again, if you can find a case for $10 then it's $100. $122 was as low as I could get it with the right form factor - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HFQtjX

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube