add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
burrtango
  • 52 months ago

Hey folks. I'm coming into a bit of money and I was thinking that my current system is getting a bit long in the tooth. I don't like trying to chase the dragon with constant upgrades so I'd rather drop the currency today, and not worry about things for a good five years. I got a list of things I care about, and a list of things that would be nice. I really don't care about looks or a consistent color scheme. I'd much prefer a pile of unicorn vomit that works well and is resilient, over something that looks amazing and won't last six months.

Things I care about enough to make a point of listing: Longevity - I only worry about computer parts once or twice a decade. Resiliency - No tweaking, no fiddling, no minor adjustments. I don't want it to be a sensitive beast that needs be cooed at to boot. Fairly quiet - I don't expect silence, but I'm old enough to not be impressed by having a V8 running on my desk all hours of the day. Serviceable - Fan filters need to be cleaned? I don't want to have to tear the system apart to get at things.

Things that I would like, but won't really break my heart: No AMD if possible. I have had more positive experiences with things that aren't branded with AMD. Just personal preferences. Hardware controls. I don't want to have to change profiles in sub-menus or proprietary software. Just turn a rheostat and be done. Not be locked into a single vendor. I've had a company vanish in just a couple years before, and that ruined a previous system. Swift response time. I'm used to doing the "start a program, wander off and give it some time to load" dance. Don't like dancing.

Budget is going to be $3000 - $5000. Some gaming, some rendering/video editing/conversion. Might have to stand in as a low scale file server for a bit. Really, I just want to not worry about minimum system requirements for several years, then just swap in a new graphics card or two if things aren't as responsive as they used to be. And I'd really like to not pay for things that can't be of use. Like if the motherboard supports 128GB of RAM, but the processor can only use 64GB.

I'd really like a few suggestions to use as a starting point for further research on my half. I don't know if a given professor line is at the end of life cycle, or if a given memory company is known to have poor products. I've iterated a few systems, but the differences on paper are minimal for the differences in price.

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B7Y4yc - I tried, I'm probably better helping ppl with budget builds but it's a start :)

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the first pass. I'll make sure I look at the suggested parts and add them to my list to research. I'm curious to see if there is going to be a trend where everyone agrees that X is going to be the best idea for Y component.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I choose the i7-6700k because it's basically the best processor for what you described. The SLI 980 tis are just cheaper then getting SLI Titans unless you want Titans ($5000 budget, why not a Titan or two? :P) and the 1 TB SSD for all your programs and 2 TB HDD for all the other stuff

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

You are definitely overspending in some areas. For 2 980ti an (850-1000 watts ) psu would be more than fine.For that budget you can include windows and a 4k monitor.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $398.98 @ B&H
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.50 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $153.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $189.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $298.99 @ Best Buy
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $46.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card (2-Way SLI) $636.98 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card (2-Way SLI) $636.98 @ Newegg
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $118.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $87.95 @ OutletPC
Monitor Asus PB279Q 60Hz 27.0" Monitor $627.08 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $3401.30
Mail-in rebates -$70.00
Total $3331.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-07 21:53 EST-0500
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I overspent in some areas to kinda make the list more adjustable (weird tactic I use to see where I over spend), like what you did here added to the over inflated budget and made it better. :)

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

First the NIC L32 has the same price as the H7. Second the H7 is better. For your information around that price range 35 bucks, the H7 is the best cooler.

Don't believe me, here is the proof

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/H7_Universal/6.html

The H7 performs on par with the NH-U12S which beats the NIC L32

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6916/thermaltake-nic-l32-non-interference-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

Now if you have some proof i would like to see it...

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 52 months ago
  • 2 points

Dont trust that review...

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

One of the system builds I've put together in recent weeks, just to show where I'd like to put the emphasis. By all means, feel free to point out where I'm needlessly spending money that could be allocated more effectively in another place.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9BcWxr

The displays, I have no idea really. I know 4K is a new-ish thing for displays, but I have no idea what that provides over normal displays.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't have thought to look for form factors other than full size desktop configurations. Would the "value added" features present on other ATX motherboards out weigh the reduction of size? I do like the idea of having something I could strap the bottom of a desk.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube