add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Beating a console, it can be done, but can it be done properly?

CoconutLF
  • 52 months ago

Ok, So there is always this talk about console killer builds but I just never see any done correctly, I hardly see people talk about the OS and whenever I do it's always SteamOS or Linux... Now why would I want to buy a Gaming Desktop machine and only play bloody games on it? Why do I have to get used to the Ubuntu Interface? Whatever the case, I'd like to see if anyone can beat a console properly...

I'm splitting this into 2 categories, New and Preowned... The Pre-owned console is checked by professionals, so it has the upper hand on used parts from ebay in terms of quality assurance. In the New category you cannot, use pre owned parts but if you want you can post cheaper alternative pre owned parts that could give equivalent or better performance for the same price. In pre-owned you can throw out anything as long as it meets the Rules..

Categories: (Prices in AUD) New: $478.00 Console, https://ebgames.com.au/xbox-one-800698-500GB-Xbox-One-Console--2-Games-Xbox-One Pre-owned: $368.00, https://ebgames.com.au/xbox-one-211991-500GB-Xbox-One-Standalone-International-Console-Refurbished-by-EB-Games-preowned-Xbox-One

Beat these in price and performance on cross platform games within the rules..

Rules: - Must match/beat console performance in cross titled games. - All Costs must be below the catagory's price, including shipping. (Just convert from your own currency to AUD) - Must include, mouse, Keyboard and windows license.

Bonus Points (Not required) - for Monitor, Microphone, extra games. (The New console comes with 2, can you beat that?) - for the least effort to build this PC, less parts the better, pre-built even better...

Well, if you can be bothered to have a go, do it! This is all about comparing specifically what the console gives you, to what a PC would give you, and the time it takes to get one. So far no one has been able to beat this from what I've seen whether that was from me not looking far enough into this but. PC's do take the effort and knowledge to build and maintain and Consoles have that "Assurance" that you shouldn't need to **** around with it for it to work. Even if someone meets the requirements there is still the effort of putting that PC together, which I'm sure anyone reading this would be completely fine with, might even ask to do it. But a casual Console gamer wouldn't like to put the effort into it when they are already out doing other stuff, like their hobbies and not ours.

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Took a crack at it and came pretty darn close.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD A8-7600 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor $77.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI A68HM-E33 V2 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $42.88 @ OutletPC
Memory Mushkin Essentials 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory $28.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $46.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus Radeon R7 370 2GB Video Card $119.99 @ Micro Center
Case Enermax Thorex ATX Mid Tower Case $19.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Raidmax 530W Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $24.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $421.72
Mail-in rebates -$60.00
Total $361.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-07 22:51 EST-0500
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I know. 361.72 USD comes out to 510.94 AUD. That's pretty close to what a new One costs there.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Wasn't able to include keyboard, mouse, or Window's license though. You could just use the Window's license of your current computer though, so I don't think that'd be an issue.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Look, I said I tried my best. xD It's a really hard thing to do, especially when you want it down to the dollar. Keep in mind however you gotta pay an annual fee for online service every year. On PC, ya don't. Plus, Steam has tons of amazing sales, so you can get games way cheaper on PC. So initially spending a little more on a PC saves you in the long run.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah no, that was a good try, OS will honestly be the hardest part.

This is another good console killer for someone like us, who can put together a PC. I'm looking for something worthwhile for someone who doesn't have as much knowledge, because EB games, has sales almost more often then steam, very good sales too, paying for online isn't too horrible either considering you have an almost guaranteed virus free machine and you dont have to worry about malware and the like. I'm mostly trying to fight for the side of consoles in this respect, as there are a lot of trolls and ******** that try to use technological babble to outwit the casual console users into thinking PC is better, and whilst I agree that I like PC more, Console has it's merrits... If someone can beat what I'm asking for here they would be the closest anyone has been to proving it's worth it for console casuals to go to PC.

All in all this is a very tall order to fill and you gave it your best shot, thanks for trying :)

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

If your friend is just looking to not worry about the system, and just kinda wants to plug-n-play, a console is definitely the way to go! That's not to say a PC doesn't hold it's merits, but I totally understand that it's not for everyone.

If he/she is looking for a great, cheap gaming experience, I see no reason not to check out the Xbox 360 right now. It's selling for incredibly cheap pre-owned, games are low priced, and I can't see them becoming obsolete anytime in the near future.

Good luck with your search. :)

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

What's the price on the monitor, because you can get some cheaper Win7 keys here and there...

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube