add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows oem transfer possible or impossible

MrPenguinMan123
  • 52 months ago

I see all these posts about people trying to transfer windows oem from an old PC to a new one with a dofferent motherboard and I keep seeing the same answer that I just can't find it clear inside my head. The answer is always No because its not legal, but what will happen if you do try to do it by using the same hdd or ssd. Its not legal but if I try to do it will it work. What are the consequences of doing so.

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't think the FBI is going to come to your house for trying to transfer a Windows Licence.

Just another case of the FBI and police scaring people into not doing stuff that's "illegal. "5 years and $250k Fine for copying a copy of Finding Nemo VCR" ********.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I am not sure that people don't do it because it isn't legal, they don't do it because the copy will not work on another motherboard.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

At the risk of having this post deleted by the mods:

Microsoft's public statements are, "No, you can't transfer an OEM copy, we will hunt you down and kill you in your sleep, you filthy Communist hippie thief."

Microsoft's actual behavior on the matter appears to be, "Don't force us to notice you." If a single OEM key shows up on 50 machines, they'll probably revoke that key. However, if it only shows up on two or three machines, well, is it really worth the trouble?

That said: There's more than one flavor of OEM version. There's the "generic" OEM version you can pick up at computer retailers, and then there's the OEM version that comes with your HP or Dell or Lenovo PC. The latter version almost certainly won't work when moved to another machine, because it's been pre-configured for the vendor's hardware. The former version makes no such assumptions, and will work on anything Windows-compatible.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for answearing makes more sense now

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube