add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will a 600W PSU power any single GPU gaming build?

Daiyus
  • 50 months ago

I'm planning an mITX gaming build in a Silverstone RVZ02. The beefiest PSU I can get that'll fit in that case is the SFX-L 600W Silverstone Strider.

I haven't bought the case yet, but I've already got an Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 to go in it. I haven't decided on a GPU. I'm thinking of using my old Radeon HD7870 until I can afford something better.

Just out of interest will 600W cover any single GPU set-up if I'm not overclocking? I just want to know if that 600W limitation will restrict any future GPU upgrades and whether it's worth trying to fit into the super-slim case or if I'll have to accept the compromise of a different form factor with an ATX PSU.

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty much. 600W is fine for just about any normal intel CPU+ single GPU setup.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, that's put my mind at ease somewhat. I know NVIDIA cards tend to be pretty low TDM, but the R9 390 has a recommended minimum of 750W PSU on their website. I guess that's just to cover themselves.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, that's just because there's a lot of awful PSUs out there that won't deliver anything close to the rated wattage. The Silverstone is a good unit that has no trouble delivering its full power.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep 600W is pretty good for any single GPU setup unless you have a 9590 or 9370

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

600w is fine for most single cards... some of the higher end ones are not a good fit, but the current generation ones are much less an issue than the last couple generations... especially with a non oc chip like that xeon

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube