add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking to upgrade pre-built desktop for better gaming, what are my options? Someone experienced please help!

Conflakes
  • 52 months ago

About two years ago my dad bought a new pre built family computer for the house, a HP ENVY 700-019. Recently I've been looking at upgrading the GPU but am on a bit of a budget. Here are the specs: http://support.hp.com/fr-fr/document/c03795764 French page but easy to make out the specs

CPU - i7 4770 3.4 ghz
    GPU- Radeon HD 8570
    RAM - 12 GB
    HDD - 2TB
    PSU - 460w
    Mobo - MS-7826 (Kaili)   Specs are 24 cm x 24 cm , LGA 1150, Intel Z87   http://support.hp.com/fr-fr/document/c03794488

As of now I can play most games on medium/low with the resolution turned down a bit and get 30-40 fps but it gets old after a while :\ I'm aiming to be able to run games like Dayz, Arma 3, Red Orc 2, Killing Floor 2, Fallout 4, and Gta V, newer games etc at 1080p 60fps with high/ultra settings if possible. I'm not sure if the power supply is large enough to handle a new GPU so I might need to buy a new one, not sure if the case is big enough either. I also currently have a brand new Ax1200i 1200w psu but I'm trying to sell that since I'll never use the full 1200w and I assume there would be no point in using it.

I was looking at the XFX Radeon r9 380 because it looked like it had pretty solid reviews for a decent price, but I know I'd have to upgrade my psu also to maybe a 600 or 750w http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9380p2255

I'm not very experienced with pc building so what should I do? Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated!!! Would those parts be the best option for me if I want to upgrade? Would that card work with my motherboard, and would there be any bottleneck issues etc? and if its possible to figure out, do you think it would fit in my case as is? I'm working with about $200-$300 give or take, depending on if I can get that power supply sold. Think I can get a better setup going then what I have right now on my budget? because the gpu isn't complete garbage but could definitely be better.

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Whats your current PSU?

Edit: Derp, didnt see that lol.

460 watts is enough for a 750 ti, 950 or 960, but Im pretty sure you would want a 970 or 390.

If you cant upgrade the PSU, either get a 960 or 970. If you can upgrade the PSU get either a 380X or a 390.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll definitely be looking into upgrading the psu if possible, just want to make sure it's able to come out of the case and whatnot first (I assume it is though,would be weird if its stuck there), but it's interesting that I could probably handle a 960 now.. that causes less fooling around and is cheap alternative for sure. My buddy had a 960 too and said it performed fine for him but he wouldn't mind if it was a bit stronger. I probably wouldn't be able to handle a 970 with the 480w though would I?

After looking at reviews and asking a few people it seems the 390 is the most favored, so I'm stuck between a 380, or a 390/970. If I'm only doing gaming in 1080p do you think I'd really need the 8gb of vram? I've read multiple articles saying that the card only really outshines the 970 at a higher resolution, and at 1080p the 970 actually has the edge in some games, plus the 390 uses a lot more power and gives off more heat. Or would the 390 just be a better option in terms of having the extra ram & future proofing it? Thanks for the quick reply sir you definitely helped out!!

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

At load, with a 970, your max load would be somewhere around 330 watts which your PSU could handle but it would probably be very stressful on the PSU. A 390 would probably blow the PSU up (sarcasm) because it would have the PSU at max load. I would a get a 500 more more Watt PSU and get the 970 due to the fact that what you stated is true.

Does it really matter sometimes when both GPUs do the exact same thing at the same cost? I mean one runs this game at 145 fps but the other one runs the game at 155 fps, it must be superior? No, because either way they both max out the game anyway and anything over 60fps at 1080p (However, at higher resolutions, I would say it does matter) doesn't even matter. Just go with what company you prefer, because either way, both GPUs do exactly what you want them to do, and thats butcher everything at max setting 1080p and a steady 60fps. /rantover :)

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh okay awesome help sir thank you, I may end up going with the 550w psu and 970 :)!! Good point as well though, if they both generally do the same thing for roughly the same price it just comes down to preference. I'm just noob to pc building and want to factor in everything like heat, power consumption etc. and just want to be sure I look at everything first, although I'm definitely worrying about more than I need too haha :P . Do you think I should have to worry about matching the dimensions of my motherboard/case to fit the card, or is that only something I need to think about if I'm using Micro-atx or something? The case is a mid sized ATX so maybe it would be fine I just wanna be sure!

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you sure is a mid sized ATX? Google the old motherboard, and find it form factor.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I could be wrong about that actually, it says "uATX : 24,4 cm x 24,4 cm" Here's a link to it if you wanna check it out http://support.hp.com/fr-fr/document/c03794488

Edit: Oh wow so apparently it's actually a MicroAtx

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

It's funny because I asked this question on only one other website, and only one person answer. He suggested: Buy the R9 390 + 550w power supply, maybe 750 for added leg room lol. Pretty much the exact same answer.

Thanks for the quick reply man muchly appreciated, I might have to look into the 390 then if it makes that much of a difference. But if I were planning to go all in and do that, shouldn't I just spend the extra $20 -$30 or whatever it is and get a Gtx 970? Because I think I was reading the 970 handles games on 1080p better than the R9 390, I could be wrong though! I wouldn't mind spending the extra bit if it makes a big difference, although I can't go too over budget lol.

Also, should I be worrying about the card not fitting in the case? its a mid sized case so it should be fine but I'm not sure

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube