add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Amazian
  • 52 months ago

Precise Puppy Linux does not seem to have a lot of software's that support it. For those who use or have used Puppy Linux before cough fn230 cough, what are some software's you use and recommend?

P.S. This is my first time using Puppy Linux but not Linux in general.

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm honored that you remember me. :D It's been a little while since I've used Puppy, so I admit quite openly that I haven't kept up to date with it, but here we go. As BigAll pointed out, there is a software index, so that is definitely worth checking out. The package manager also does allow you to specify a few different repositories in case you haven't found what you're looking for.

I'm making these suggestions as general software, and on the assumption that this is a very old and slow computer with no more than 256 MB of RAM; please clarify if this is not the case. With such a machine, multitasking is probably not a good idea.

• Browsing: links2/xlinks, Dillo, NetSurf. If your CPU is a Pentium 4 or newer, you can probably get away with Arora. If so, don't open too many tabs unless you have the specs for it.
  • Email: Sylpheed
  • Word processing: Abiword
  • Spreadsheets: Gnumeric
  • Image editing: mtPaint
  • Audio players: Aqualung
  • Video players: mplayer

A Pentium 4 machine with around 256-512 MB of RAM should also be able to run Lubuntu 12.04 or 14.04 LTS fairly comfortably, if you find that Puppy is too limiting.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you!

The PC Spec:

CPU- Pentium 4 3.2 GHz

Motherboard- MSI-MS 7173

RAM- 2GB DDR2 667 MHz

Storage- Seagate Barracuda 250 GB

PSU- Antec Earthwatts Green 380W

Now that you know, do you recommend Lubuntu over Puppy?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

With specs like that you can run Lubuntu or even Xubuntu quite comfortably. :D

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube