add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
strictshooter
  • 52 months ago

Hey everyone,

Total rookie here.. I currently have an alienware bought in 2010. i7 920 and i know its basically at the end of its lifespan. I can still play witcher 3 in Med-high with my gtx 770. The question is, should I go for the i5 6600k or 6700k?

All i'm doing is pure gaming and surfing and youtube.. I do want the best of the best most of the time but due to some life changes, i just cant spend money the way i used to..

Any help/convincing is appreciated.. I'm leaning towards a 6600k or 6700k with a Maximus VIII hero mobo.

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Go with the i5 since you are only gaming. The only reason you would need the 8 threads of the i7 is if you were doing some content creation.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I second this.

While i7 is recommended for the Witcher 3, I can still max it on an i5 with a 970.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

can you play it on 1440p with Ultra? I only have a 1440p monitor and wont be upgrading it for maybe 2-3 years.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

It would depend largely on the GPU. An i5 is a strong enough performance base to not commonly be a limiting factor at 1440p. Here's a reference for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbt8qSApRvU

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

6600k definitely, 6700k is pointless unless you are streaming games like bf4/gta

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely i5. I7's have no advantage in pure gaming.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404674,00.asp

This link will help clear up the differences.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

theres times an i7 may benefit you with gaming, but if cost is ANY concern, rest assured that the i5 is still able to do all you need exceptionally well.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

why not just upgrade the gpu?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

it will bottle neck the 920.. i definitely want the 980 TI. hopefully it comes down price when the Pascal is out.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

i5 denfinitely

[comment deleted]
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

The 920 is a very old CPU. Not that great for modern gaming.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube